Options

Goofy VMWare Player Question

petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
I know some of you are sages with VMWare and old OSes. . . so how did you get SVGA working with Windows 3.11? I've tried the MS drivers, the patches, a few other card drivers. . . no love. Running on Ubuntu 9.04, latest VMWare Player, and the underlying DOS in the VM is 6.22.

Any help with me getting through my self-inflicted insanity would be greatly appreciated. :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
--Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Having never installed 3.1 on a vm player all i could do is search google.

"No VMware Tools package exists for DOS or Windows 3.1x guest operating systems; therefore, Windows 3.1x is limited to VGA mode graphics and you must always use the Ctrl-Alt key combination to release the mouse from a DOS or Windows 3.1x virtual machine. "

https://www.vmware.com/support/esx2/guests/doc/guestos_doswin.html

Good luck.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Thanks. It's just that I googled a bit and saw that other people had good luck patching, but that didn't work for me. Maybe they were using other virtualization systems and I didn't notice (some posts I _did_ see were directed at DOSEMU, VirtualBox, etc.).

I think I'll just have to take VMWare at their word for the moment, and just use VGA when I have to use pure WFW 311. I'll likely set up another VM later with Win9x for real "work" with older software.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers