Options

I can now say, without a doubt...

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
that SDM is one of the worst pieces of software that I have ever used. Not THE worst, but one of them. I have struggled with this software for the last three hours, from 3 different xp boxes running different versions of java that people have said work. I have got it to work now and then but it seems to stop if I hold my tongue wrong. AHHHH... I hope it's not covered very deep on the test icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Have you tried loading it in maybe a Win7 or Vista VM? Different versions of java? (SDM is java based, right?)

Edit: to clarify, if my memory serves correctly SDM can be loaded onto the router or a PC. Which are you trying to do? (maybe I'm wrong)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    I found this setup to work for me....yep SDM is kinda outdated since it gives trouble with Win7 and newer versions of Java.

Head on over to Old Version of Java Download - OldApps.com and try getting an older ver of java and install it on a virtual machine of XP. When I had to use SDM I would boot up my XP vm with java 1.4.2 version and I got it working for me.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    use java 6.6 plus internet explorer 6 or 7 if you are using the sdm 2.5.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    that SDM is one of the worst pieces of software that I have ever used. Not THE worst, but one of them. I have struggled with this software for the last three hours, from 3 different xp boxes running different versions of java that people have said work. I have got it to work now and then but it seems to stop if I hold my tongue wrong. AHHHH... I hope it's not covered very deep on the test icon_cry.gif
    in the ccna nop.....but security...oh my friend is maybe the 70% of the exam
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I realize the exam probably wants SDM, but in the real world the Cisco Configuration Professional is a hundred times better if your router supports it. They havent released a new SDM in a couple years.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    After you get Java to work, it's actually very helpful because of how it lets you preview the commands before delivering them to the router. But yeah, being finicky with Java does suck.