70-640 Any thought on Sybex book?

mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I just passed my Net+ exam a few weeks ago, and I'm currently looking to get back into more of an AD/Server role in the company I'm currently working in. A few opportunities might arise soon, so I want to make sure I'm up to date with everything.

I used to manage quite a few Windows 2003 servers a few years back while working for a small IT shop. I jumped on a much better paying tech job, strictly deskside support, so I haven't even worked on Windows 2008 yet.

I'm leaning on the Sybex book because I had great success with them in the past. Is it any good for the 70-640? Or I'm I better off with the Microsoft book?

Also, will the free MS book for R2 along with one of the 2 books from MS or Sybex be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mctwist wrote: »
    Hi all, I just passed my Net+ exam a few weeks ago, and I'm currently looking to get back into more of an AD/Server role in the company I'm currently working in. A few opportunities might arise soon, so I want to make sure I'm up to date with everything.

I used to manage quite a few Windows 2003 servers a few years back while working for a small IT shop. I jumped on a much better paying tech job, strictly deskside support, so I haven't even worked on Windows 2008 yet.

I'm leaning on the Sybex book because I had great success with them in the past. Is it any good for the 70-640? Or I'm I better off with the Microsoft book?

Also, will the free MS book for R2 along with one of the 2 books from MS or Sybex be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Have a look at http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/61096-just-passed-70-640-a.html#post485215

I gave an opinion a lot of materials in that post. But in short I think the MS Press book is superior. I would couple that with the Mastering 2008 R2 and the links in the 70-640 resources thread at the top of this forum.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum full of 640 resources (mostly from Technet) which are way better the MS or Sybex books.

IMHO those two books on there own aren't anywhere near detailed enough to pass the exam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed 640 (and 642/643/646/647) using primarily the Sybex book, though that was the old pre-R2 exam. I liked it but I have no comparison since I didn't use another book.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have a look at http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/61096-just-passed-70-640-a.html#post485215

I gave an opinion a lot of materials in that post. But in short I think the MS Press book is superior. I would couple that with the Mastering 2008 R2 and the links in the 70-640 resources thread at the top of this forum.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I found your thread a few days ago. I already have a copy of the Sybex book, I'll probably be reading the Sybex book first, and will possibly be buying both the MS Press book and the mastering R2 book, since I really want a thorough understanding. Plus the Mastering book really seems to complement the 640 and 642, I guess it'll make a good resource.

I haven't touched a server for so long, I'm really doing these exams in the hope a job opening within the org will come soon.