Options

Resume 1 page or 2 pages

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
So this has always been a debate for me. I have had 3 relevant jobs over the past 8years and I am wondering if I should have a 1 page resume, or a 2 page resume.

Do most of you guys use a 2page resume on Monster/Dice/Careerbuilder, but if you are applying use a quick 1 page?

I was told once before its good to have a summarized 1 pager and then have a detailed 2 pager and present both at an interview.

I could cram everything into one page, but I wouldn't be able to talk about my accomplishments with each role, which is why I like to let it expand to 2 pages.

Any thoughts?
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have more than one page of quality content then go for two. I've seen people fill two pages with crap that wouldn't make one decent page though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Over the last couple years I've had a number of contract jobs. If I don't list them I have time gaps in my resume. If I do list them my resume is over 1 page. It's something I've gone back and forth about.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    Over the last couple years I've had a number of contract jobs. If I don't list them I have time gaps in my resume. If I do list them my resume is over 1 page. It's something I've gone back and forth about.

Yea for me I have only had 3 jobs, but in order to list all my accomplishments, trainings and certifications etc its a 2 page resume.

Either way, I need to rebuild my resume and my goal is to have a 1 pager and a 2 pager for different situations. I can see at a career fair for example a 1 pager more summarized to be preferred, but in a job interview, or application for a job a more detailed 2 pager would be better.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I guess it down to the individual and culture. Here in the UK, unless you're starting out (so you don't have alot to put in your CV/resume), you'd keep your CV to 2 pages and a cover letter - there are exceptions though :)

-ken