ICND1 failed

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I took the ICND1 today and failed. I scored a 737 but needed 804. I knew my score range would be somewhere between 700 and 825, but I had to see if I could pass/see what I needed to work on even more.

I finished the Cisco Networking Academy back in spring 09
I watched 26 out of 31 CBT nugget videos.
and did a small amout of reading in the cisco press book.

Results:
Describe the operation of data networks 64%
Implement a small switched network 56%
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office 44%
Implement a small routed network 73%
Explain and select the appropriate administractive tasks required for a WLAN 33%
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats 100%
Implement and verift WAN links 67%

I really want to move onto Microsoft but I'm soo close x.x
Just alittle more studying
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    My best advice is to know subnetting like the back of your hand. I would be able to do it in your head before attempting the exam.

Good Luck! You are close and will have it next time for sure.

Edit: On a + side you got a 100% on the security part! CCENT or any Cisco exam for that is not an easy thing to get by.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Sorry about the failed attempt... but we need some people posting that they passed!!! Study for another month and take it again! I'm taking mine on the 8th. Hopefully i'll be able to put one in the W column!!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought I was good at the subnetting part but considering my scores I must have missed something
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You took it just wanting to know where you stood? That's unusual, and sounds like a less stressful way to take an exam (if you can afford it). I'm doing just that towards the end of January.....stacking the odds in my favor of passing though - I study a minimum of 4 hours everyday for the ICND1. Sometimes more like 12 hours :D

Maybe work on your subnetting using subnetting.org - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and Free CCNA Workbook

Probably won't take too much more effort for you to pass. You were close.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    Quoted from Forsaken_GA"The trick is to understand the question they're actually asking you, not the question you think they're asking. *always* read a question twice and try to reword it in your head to make sure you understand what they're actually asking for."
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    You took it just wanting to know where you stood? That's unusual, and sounds like a less stressful way to take an exam (if you can afford it). I'm doing just that towards the end of January.....stacking the odds in my favor of passing though - I study a minimum of 4 hours everyday for the ICND1. Sometimes more like 12 hours :D

Maybe work on your subnetting using subnetting.org - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and Free CCNA Workbook

Probably won't take too much more effort for you to pass. You were close.
    I got to a point where i'm just getting tired of studying and I felt like I needed to take the test before I could really figure out what I do know, what I don't know, and what I don't need to know (until ICND2) That way I can figure out what I do need to study and what I don't need to study.
    When I was studying for the A+ I studied everything that WASNT on the test. I still passed but, A+ is nothing compared to CCENT.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Priston wrote: »
    I thought I was good at the subnetting part but considering my scores I must have missed something

When I took ICND1 I felt nearly 80% of the questions involved subnetting directly, or indirectly. It might not have been the actual solution, but understanding how subnetting worked got you to the right answer.

I was lucky as the weekend before I took the exam I got this advice "Be able to subnet in your head" so I went through endless subnetting examples until I could just look at it and quickly do it in my head.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I totally agree, mastering subnetting is a must.

Just keep saying it till you dream it. I remember falling to sleep saying it, "CIDR 22 is 252 and has an increment of 4...CIDR 28 is 240 and has an increment of 8..."

You'll get it next time! icon_thumright.gif
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Monkerz wrote: »

Just keep saying it till you dream it. I remember falling to sleep saying it, "CIDR 22 is 252 and has an increment of 4...CIDR 28 is 240 and has an increment of 8..."

I take it you remembered those CIDR values from /8-/30? That is a good idea, for if I memorized that then that would be one less process I have to "figure" out.

About the only thing that I really like to write down is the range for finding a certain range etc.. I like to see that so I can believe it lol

Nonetheless, I am going to make me a list right now. - Thanks
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I totally agree, mastering subnetting is a must.

You'll get it next time! icon_thumright.gif

One time my girl friend was trying to wake me up after a long night of drinking while I was studying subnetting and she said all I kept muttering was 172. blah blah /30 blah blah ....
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    One time my girl friend was trying to wake me up after a long night of drinking while I was studying subnetting and she said all I kept muttering was 172. blah blah /30 blah blah ....

That's awesome. +1 for that.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□

Haha same here....only for me it was OSPF...and I think it was a night terror of sorts. My girl told me I was REALLY worried that the areas were not set up correctly.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
    haha ... i'm just glad to know i'm not the only one!
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    lol The worlds work force can rest assured that there network engineers are a bunch of drunks
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    lol The worlds work force can rest assured that there network engineers are a bunch of drunks

drunken_smilie.gif

I don't think it's limited to their network engineers though haha
  • darkshade9darkshade9 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My ICND1 was all about simulations and CLI commands... I wish it had more subnetting, I would have passed the first time.