Retaking the A+ exams

Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm getting ready to start WGU Feb 1st. So to prep to get classes taken off of my course load I'm retaking my A+ exam.

I took the A+ back in 2000 and passed so now I have to take it again because it's been more than 5 years. So I want to get it done before the end of the year so I don't have to renew it ever again after I'm done with school. I wanted to check and see what materials have you all found that helped you learn the material the fastest. I need to shore up what I know so I can pass in 7-10 days and that includes the Christmas holiday.

I took a transcender exam that was on my computer at work and got an 80%. I don't think I'll have an issue with nailing the exam but I want to be sure.
Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
Project+ and CIW Foundations.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I think you'll be fine. Professor Messer has free A+ and N+ courses. If you need a refresher in any domains --> Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Krusty_47 wrote: »
    So I'm getting ready to start WGU Feb 1st. So to prep to get classes taken off of my course load I'm retaking my A+ exam.

I took the A+ back in 2000 and passed so now I have to take it again because it's been more than 5 years. So I want to get it done before the end of the year so I don't have to renew it ever again after I'm done with school. I wanted to check and see what materials have you all found that helped you learn the material the fastest. I need to shore up what I know so I can pass in 7-10 days and that includes the Christmas holiday.

I took a transcender exam that was on my computer at work and got an 80%. I don't think I'll have an issue with nailing the exam but I want to be sure.

In your case I would go with anything free, the video series mentioned above would probably be enough. From my understanding the tests have gotten easier since you last took it, mostly because modern computers are better at self configuration. The 2009 objectives covers Windows 2000, XP, and Vista. If you've stayed current with hardware advancements, and know some differences between the above Windows versions, you should be good to go.

Look over the 2009 exam objectives, and google anything you feel the need to.
  • Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luckily I have access to CBT Nuggets, Transcender exams and a multitude of free books from safari books. I feel pretty confident but I want to make sure I can get it knocked out and not have to worry about it again.

Seriously, Network+ on Nov 30th, Security+ on Dec 20th, A+ on Dec 27th or 28th, Project+ sometime in the first week of Jan, and to finish my base certs before I start school on Feb 1st I hope to have my Windows 7 cert by the 21st.

It's going to be a heavy work load but in total it will knock off 30 CU's off my course load at WGU.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

Alright I have passed the security+ and now my studies turn to my A+ what fun.
    Goals for 2011.

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alright I have passed the security+ and now my studies turn to my A+ what fun.

Congrats man! Update your cert list :)
    Alright I just got back from the exams. After 6 hours of studying I got an 849 on the 701 and an 810 on the 702. I only used a few Professor Messer videos, the transcender practice exams and a few CBT Nugget videos. I'm glad that I will never have to take this exam again.

Now it's onto the Project+. I should have that done at the latest by the 20th. Although I'm wondering if I should try to fit in the CIW foundations next month too. I'm wondering how much extra work it would be? I have passed the Network+, Security+, and A+ in 30 days. I think I have a good pace going on right now and I don't want to mess it up. If I can keep this pace up I'll be done with WGU by this time next year.
    Goals for 2011.

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now it's onto the Project+. I should have that done at the latest by the 20th. Although I'm wondering if I should try to fit in the CIW foundations next month too. I'm wondering how much extra work it would be? I have passed the Network+, Security+, and A+ in 30 days. I think I have a good pace going on right now and I don't want to mess it up. If I can keep this pace up I'll be done with WGU by this time next year.

Honestly, you could schedule the CIW Foundations as soon as possible, walk in and pass. You only need 54 questions to pass and call it a day. The ONLY thing you may want to do which weren't covered in your trinity is HTML, which, if you're inclined, you can go over here. There are some project management items you need, but those will not make or break you and common sense may save you on those (you do NOT need a Project+ or PMP cert to get you through those...I didn't [Project+ came after]).

This guide should get you through Foundations as well...it's what we all used: CIW Foundations Study Notes

As a last resort (and I was actually talked out of this) you could always buy a uCertify pak for the CIW Foundations....I was talked out of it because for me, it would have proved unnecessary. But if you want an idea of how the test will be like, it would help you seal the deal.

It is the only cert I didn't spend that much study time on...I spent more time on Project+...and even then it was around 2 weeks between buying the book and taking the exam.
    Thanks for the advice I might just do that or do both on the same day. I just want to get as many out of the way as I can before I start WGU on the 1st. I also have to fight with the transfer department so my chem lab will transfer over. But that's a story for another section.

Thank you all for all the help. I don't think I would be nearly as successful with my certifications as I am with this forum. You guys are great.
    Goals for 2011.

• ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm getting ready to knock out my A+ 2009 Exams for the Resume and I was wondering how good the Transcender exam prep was for these tests. I ran through the CBT Nugget videos once and I'm going through the Transcender prep now. Was the Transcender exam prep good for these particular exams?