Odd bitlocker error

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ever since I reformatted a drive my boot time is longer and I get this message:

error 24620
Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{1ba4f229-2b46-11df-85cd-806e6f6e6963} cannot be read.

The thing is I don't even use Bitlocker, running Windows 7 pro.

Comments

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I don't even think you can use bitlocker on Windows 7 Pro!
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    I don't even think you can use bitlocker on Windows 7 Pro!

Exactly, it doesn't make much sense why it would be running on boot.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Is the BitLocker service enabled?

The error isn't that you've got encrypted volumes but that the BitLocker service is trying to check all of your volumes to see if they're encrypted and failing. This is normally because its trying to read a flash card reader or something like that.

And whilst BitLocker isn't enabled in W7 Pro it is still part of the install.
    The BitLocker service is not running, it's just set to manual in services.

I'm assuming that I can safely set it to disabled?
    Well I set it to disabled and I still got the error when I rebooted.

UPDATE: I did find \?\Volume{1ba4f229-2b46-11df-85cd-806e6f6e6963} in the registry under mounted devices.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Did you also check on your bios for feature relating to bitlock ?
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Did you also check on your bios for feature relating to bitlock ?

There is no such option in the BIOS.
    Deleting it out of the registry mounted volumes key has failed as it just comes back with a new id ("data" remains the same though)
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    exampasser wrote: »
    Deleting it out of the registry mounted volumes key has failed as it just comes back with a new id ("data" remains the same though)

Sorry pal, I'm not certified to help on this issue at the moment, I hope other members will be able to assist you though ... icon_redface.gif
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Can you go into event viewer and see if there are any more detailed error logs/messages there please, then list them.

Also, what (if any) backup software are you using?

-Ken
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Can you go into event viewer and see if there are any more detailed error logs/messages there please, then list them.

Also, what (if any) backup software are you using?

-Ken
    There are no other detailed error logs/messages. I'm not using any backup software.

The source of the event is bitlocker-driver
    With the mountvol command I have found out that the partition that bitlocker is trying to read from is the 100 MB system reserved partition.
    I found a bitlocker filter driver in device manager, yes I can kill the beast! I disabled it booted up and got BSOD so I had to run last known good configuration. In this case this particular cure was worst than the disease.

I should mention that the reserved partition is not mounted by default which has not been a problem in the past.
    I also noticed that I cannot change options on the boot options tab of msconfig (was able to before) I did temporarily mount the system reserved partition but I could not see anything (I did select show hidden files and protected operating system file with no luck)

I should also mention that I did run the WD align utility to make sure that my EARS drive was setup properly around the time my problems started occurring, I tried system restore but for some reason it just doesn't want to work.
    I fixed it! Well kinda . . .

I simply kept the system volume mounted and rebooted, now the boot tab works in msconfig, no more error messages and I'm back to a 30 sec boot time (after BIOS/RAID). I know that it should not have to be mounted, but I'd rather do this than reinstall windows.