Cisco 1721 router memory IOS question

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I checked both of my 1721s and this is what is on them:
System image file is "flash:c1700-ipbase-mz.123-6c.bin"

cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x400) with 55642K/9894K bytes of memory.
I know this model maxes at 128/32, and I don't have that. They are not upgradeable, correct? I should have done better homework before buying them. I have 12.4 Adv IP Services available. Will this run on my two 1721s? If not I suppose they have little real value, because that is all I've got.

If I could go back and do it again I'd just get switches and plug them into the ubuntu box that has a dual core cpu and 6gb of ram and just run GNS3!
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I checked both of my 1721s and this is what is on them:

I know this model maxes at 128/32, and I don't have that. They are not upgradeable, correct? I should have done better homework before buying them. I have 12.4 Adv IP Services available. Will this run on my two 1721s? If not I suppose they have little real value, because that is all I've got.

If I could go back and do it again I'd just get switches and plug them into the ubuntu box that has a dual core cpu and 6gb of ram and just run GNS3!

1721's should of been cheap to purchase anyway. From what I know, which is not much, it is that you are limited to your memory and flash. This is what I currently load on my 1721's at work: c1700-y-mz.123-26.bin
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    chmorin wrote: »
    1721's should of been cheap to purchase anyway. From what I know, which is not much, it is that you are limited to your memory and flash. This is what I currently load on my 1721's at work: c1700-y-mz.123-26.bin

Yes, they are cheap! I checked the cisco feature navigator and I need 96/32, so until I find some use for these they're probably just going back into the closet.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Router Memory PDF
    1721/51/60 shipped prior to August 18 2003 had 16MB flash and 32-64 MB DRAM.
    The flash is fixed -- you either have an old 1721 with 16Meg Flash or a newer one with 32Meg. You'd have to check the output of a show version command to see how much Flash you have.

There is a slot for upgrading memory -- but knowing you have 64Meg of memory doesn't tell us if it was an original 1721 with the 32Meg that's been upgraded, or a 1721 with 64Meg fixed on the system board and an empty slot waiting for a memory upgrade.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    This is the complete output for show version:
    Router>show version
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 20-Jul-04 07:00 by kellythw
    Image text-base: 0x80008120, data-base: 0x80C74650

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 3 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1700-ipbase-mz.123-6c.bin"

cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x400) with 55642K/9894K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FOC08383JAZ (448416050), with hardware revision 0000
    MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial network interface(s)
    WIC T1-DSU
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

I'm not getting my hopes up, appreciate your input though.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is the complete output for show version:
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

32Meg Flash.

Open up the case and you'll probably find an empty slot waiting for a memory upgrade to take it from 64Meg DRAM to 128Meg (or if it's filled, then it's probably a 32Meg SIMM waiting to be replaced by a 64Meg SIMM to take you to 96Meg).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It looks like it has 32MB of system (flash) memory. If you max out the RAM with a 64MB stick you should be able to install IOS version 12.4T Advanced Security, which should include every feature you need for the CCNA, as well as CCNP and most of the specialties.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Thanks guys I really appreciate it. AND I get to do something really cool and new with my gear :)

I followed the instructions here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1721/hardware/installation/guide/1721upg.html and based on the diagrams on that page I see I have an empty DIMM slot and a VPN slot.

Somewhere I've read the max memory on these is 128, but it looks like the max memory in an empty DIMM slot is a 64MB stick, making it 96 - not 128. Does the maximum apply to 1721 routers that already have 64mb on board?
    Somewhere I've read the max memory on these is 128, but it looks like the max memory in an empty DIMM slot is a 64MB stick, making it 96 - not 128. Does the maximum apply to 1721 routers that already have 64mb on board?
    Based on your first post, it looks like you've got 64MB in there right now. If the DIMM slot is empty, you can purchase a 64MB stick of RAM to put in to bring the router up to 128MB.

The 32MB you're thinking of is the flash memory, the non-volatile RAM (NVRAM) that's used to store the IOS and your startup-configuration file. As Mike mentioned, that's fixed and cannot be upgraded or replaced.

Right now, you're router has the following:
    [RAM]--> 64MB/32MB <--[Flash Memory]

What you'll get when you upgrade:
    [RAM]--> 128MB/32MB <--[Flash Memory]

Here are a couple of sites from where you can pick up RAM:
    I bought 3rd party memory for my lab routers and it worked perfectly fine. I don't see a reason to pay the additional money for the Cisco-approved stuff since none of these boxes are going into production.

Thanks for setting me straight. Sorry for my ignorance, I'll work on correcting that. I've got to say, though, this whole experience has been worth a ton to me and I'm really grateful.
    UPDATE:

I bought a couple sticks of RAM for $8 each, popped it in, and upgraded the IOS in my 1721s.
    Cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x400) with 118833K/12239K bytes of memory.

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Success!!
    Excellent! I'm glad you got them working. :D

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Sorry to revive an old old thread... but i need help!

so, I bought the wrong memory for my cisco 1721 router >_<! ouch..

Looked around but haven't really gotten a definitive answer =/ so can anyone help me?

1721 SIMM, DIMM, SO-DIMM? 100-pin?

thanks in advance!

[Edit]

Looks like it's:

100-pin DIMM PC100 (100Mhz) type memory, thanks all =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE