Certificates or Degrees...?

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
I'm thinking of pursuing my B.S. after I get my CWTS.. Either that or I'll get my CCDA.. But I'm not sure I only got an A.S. and I think another degree will be nice.. But I don't know about a 4 year commitment of school work.

Do you guys think a degree is worth while of just the certificates in the IT field.
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many threads are spattered throughout TE and for the most part it boils down to both usually.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Interesting I guess people just want both nowadays.

I put my info in at the WGU website so I'll wait to hear back from them.. see what it looks like after they get transcripts and cert information.

(I am curious why is WGU so popular here?)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveO86 wrote: »

(I am curious why is WGU so popular here?)

The only thing I can advise you to do is read both of those large threads (The Q/A and Experiences) in their entirety.

I did before I applied. I also did my homework outside of TE.

I didn't need a BS to do what I currently do seeing a salary a bit shy of six figures...but I do need one to get to the next level. For me, that's IT management.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I always say, try for at least 2 of the 3

-Experience and/or Raw knowledge
    -Degree
    -Certifications
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I am curious why is WGU so popular here?
    WGU seems to cater to the self-motivated independent study crowd.

The people here on TE have been a self-motivated independent study crowd for years now.

Toss in the fact that existing certifications can count toward degree requirements -- or some nice certifications the people here were going to do anyway are part of the degree program at WGU -- and you have a match made in heaven for the members who would like a degree or degree upgrade.

The fact that it is regionally accredited, affordable, and NOT one of the for-profit schools that aim for maximum asses in classes to achieve maximum profit works in it's favor.

Plus we lucked out and have our own group of "student evangelists" here who are willing to talk you through the worst part of the WGU process -- the Enrollment Counselors. I'd guess the ECs at WGU don't work on commission like the for-profit schools recruiters who lie through their teeth to get students (who qualify for student loans) to enroll. It actually sounds like the ECs have to stick to the "script" and canned responses to avoid false promises and inflated claims. If you're motivated enough to get through the WGU EC gauntlet (and apply and send in your transcripts/certification for evaluation), you're probably motivated enough to succeed at self-study. icon_lol.gif

To maximize your chances for success in an IT career you should maximize your education, experience, and certifications. Toss in some luck and people skills/networking ability and you'll be unstoppable. That's pretty much been the formula for IT career success here at TE for several years now. Different companies may value education and/or certification more/or less than other companies -- so maximize all 3 and you maximize your opportunities.

Toss in some blind ruthless ambition and you could even aim for the c-suite.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    WGU seems to cater to the self-motivated independent study crowd.

The people here on TE have been a self-motivated independent study crowd for years now.

Toss in the fact that existing certifications can count toward degree requirements -- or some nice certifications the people here were going to do anyway are part of the degree program at WGU -- and you have a match made in heaven for the members who would like a degree or degree upgrade.

The fact that it is regionally accredited, affordable, and NOT one of the for-profit schools that aim for maximum asses in classes to achieve maximum profit works in it's favor.

Plus we lucked out and have our own group of "student evangelists" here who are willing to talk you through the worst part of the WGU process -- the Enrollment Councilors. I'd guess the ECs at WGU don't work on commission like the for-profit schools recruiters who lie through their teeth to get students (who qualify for student loans) to enroll. It actually sounds like the ECs have to stick to the "script" and canned responses to avoid false promises and inflated claims. If you're motivated enough to get through the WGU EC gauntlet (and apply and send in your transcripts/certification for evaluation), you're probably motivated enough to succeed at self-study. icon_lol.gif

To maximize your chances for success in an IT career you should maximize your education, experience, and certifications. Toss in some luck and people skills/networking ability and you'll be unstoppable. That's pretty much been the formula for IT career success here at TE for several years now. Different companies may value education and/or certification more/or less than other companies -- so maximize all 3 and you maximize your opportunities.

Toss in some blind ruthless ambition and you could even aim for the c-suite.

Well put!! Rep!
    Degrees:
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    what's the c-suite?
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Well put!! Rep!

agreed, I had wondered the same question though... excellent answer... i think I may check it out after finishing my A.S. at my current school
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    what's the c-suite?

CEO, CIO, CITO, CSO etc
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CEO, CIO, CITO, CSO etc

You know, I actually thought he meant the Cisco set in his signature, until I saw your reply.

Made me Google the ol' c-suite and what do you know, it really is an actual term for the most senior level executives. LOL.

Nice.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    There's a nice quote I like from Frank Zappa that I think is pertinent.
    "If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library."

Basically college is only worth what you put into it. Or at least that's the way it should be(to employers).
    hex_omega wrote: »
    There's a nice quote I like from Frank Zappa that I think is pertinent.
    "If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library."

Basically college is only worth what you put into it. Or at least that's the way it should be(to employers).

It is that way at least with the people I work with.
    Degrees: