Anyone taking their tests on New Years Eve?

wingdoodwingdood Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm planning on taking my A+ exams on New Years Eve. I know Comptia worded the lifetime expiration as requiring candidates be "certified by December 31, 2010," so does this include candidates that pass the tests "on" the 31st? Thanks

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    if you pass, you'll be officially certified for the time you hit 'finish'.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am a procrastinator, but I don't think I would risk that. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wingdood wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm planning on taking my A+ exams on New Years Eve. I know Comptia worded the lifetime expiration as requiring candidates be "certified by December 31, 2010," so does this include candidates that pass the tests "on" the 31st? Thanks

icon_rolleyes.gif

The last date to become certified is 12.31.10

So are you taking the exam on 12.31.10? Yes

If you pass, will you have passed by 12.31.10 Yes

I hope you do better with the questions on the exam ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • wingdoodwingdood Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    icon_rolleyes.gif

The last date to become certified is 12.31.10

So are you taking the exam on 12.31.10? Yes

If you pass, will you have passed by 12.31.10 Yes

I hope you do better with the questions on the exam ;)

Thx for the update, now I have one less thing to worry about as I cram for my exams. :D
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    As obvious as it might seem, there are situations where "by the 31st" would mean once the 31st rolls around, the deadline has been reached, opposed to giving you the end of day. My professors sometimes word stuff like that, so I can see where the OP was coming from. :)

In this case however, he is safe!
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As obvious as it might seem, there are situations where "by the 31st" would mean once the 31st rolls around, the deadline has been reached, opposed to giving you the end of day. My professors sometimes word stuff like that, so I can see where the OP was coming from. :)

In this case however, he is safe!

That would be true if the word was "before" instead of "by."

If it were "before the 31st," that means you have until end of day on the 30th.

If it is "by the 31st," that means you have until end of business day and/or end of day on the 31st to complete what is required (in this case, getting the lifetime cert.)

If CompTIA would have gotten cute and confused "by" for "before," that would be sweet grounds for a lawsuit.
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    The way they word their test questions, I wouldn't be surprised if CompTIA left that part to interpretation. ;)
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Justaniceguy420Justaniceguy420 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys. I passed the essentials exam on wendsday the 29th and passed the practical on the 30th which was thursday. When I go into my CompTia Account it says A+2009 NO Expiration but underneath i dunno why but it says A+ CE and the expiration date said Dec 2013. So what is the deal? Which Certificate is accurate whats the diff between the 2? This was the 1st comptia cert I ever took so can someone please email me at

bkadane@gmail.com

Thanks so much :)
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Hey guys. I passed the essentials exam on wendsday the 29th and passed the practical on the 30th which was thursday. When I go into my CompTia Account it says A+2009 NO Expiration but underneath i dunno why but it says A+ CE and the expiration date said Dec 2013. So what is the deal? Which Certificate is accurate whats the diff between the 2? This was the 1st comptia cert I ever took so can someone please email me at

bkadane@gmail.com

same here, I guess you had to pass the exam before the 31st. Can someone verify?
  • wingdoodwingdood Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    someeh wrote: »
    same here, I guess you had to pass the exam before the 31st. Can someone verify?

I don't think that's correct. I passed my A+ exams on the 30th and 31st, and right now it just shows as active with expiration as N/A. Did you enroll in the CE version?
    I don't think that's correct. I passed my A+ exams on the 30th and 31st, and right now it just shows as active with expiration as N/A. Did you enroll in the CE version?

I signed on to CompTIA's site. If I want to enroll in CE, I can, but I have to wait until 1/15/2011 and then it would be for the highest cert in the trinity (or your own highest CompTIA cert). When you get the required number of CE units, the lowest will be updated as well.

If you got your cert 12/31/2010 or before, you have it for life!

At this time, I have no intention of giving CompTIA anymore money for certs, unless I find myself working for a DoD contract or something, but I don't forsee that happening. (Directly or indirectly)
  • iamthenetiamthenet Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

bkadane@gmail.com

I noticed the same, can someone clarify?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

bkadane@gmail.com

It could very well be that you're enrolled in the CE program even with the lifetime cert, which is possible. Upon the expiration date, you'd revert back to a lifetime status. Of course, that's just a guess, so I'd double-check with CompTIA to be sure, if I were in your position.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    It could very well be that you're enrolled in the CE program even with the lifetime cert, which is possible. Upon the expiration date, you'd revert back to a lifetime status. Of course, that's just a guess, so I'd double-check with CompTIA to be sure, if I were in your position.

Negative. You are given a choice to enroll in the CE Program.

When you sign in with your "career ID" this is the message you are greeted with:
    important Continuing Education Alert
    Your records show that you have not selected the highest possible CE Intent Level. We recommend you always select to participate at the highest level of CompTIA certification held to ensure the maximum benefit of this program. You can upgrade your CE Intent level by going to the Settings tab

When you click on the "Settings" hyperlink you can specify if you want to enroll in the CE program. However, if you go to the "Continuing Education" tab on the top of that for those of us who are lifetime, this is another message we're greeted with:
    Important Notice: For those Certified for Life professionals that are choosing to recertify in the CompTIA Continuing Education Program through qualified CompTIA certifications the system currently does not support this specific recertification process. Development is being conducted and anticipated to be completed by Jan 15, 2011. Please check back in CertMetrics after that date.

This is what I see when I go through that beta page that takes me to the Continuing Education section:

NameStartedActiveExpiresDownloads

CompTIA A+ 2005-Nov-232005-Dec-02n/aLogo
    PDF Certificate CompTIA Network+ 2005-Dec-202005-Dec-20n/aLogo
    PDF Certificate CompTIA Security+ (2008 edition) 2010-Aug-262010-Aug-26n/aLogo
    PDF Certificate CompTIA Security+ CE 2010-Aug-262010-Aug-262013-Aug-26PDF Certificate

I believe that the last one means I have before 8/26/2013 to enroll in the CE program and earn 50 CPES so that I can upgrade all my CompTIA certs (which I do when I update Security+). That has to be chosen and paid for for one to be enrolled though. It's not automatic or anything like that.

If you earned your cert before today, you are "Certified For Life" as per CompTIA. You will never have to worry about them again unless you are DoD or MUST have current CompTIA certs.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143

Probably did... I would have to double check...

Okay, the expiration date no longer shows!!!