best on VPNs

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys
what are the best books on vpns in cisco? and firewall books?

and if any CBT courses?

I am really want to play and learn vpns and firewall. but want hands on skills
not as much theory. I want step by step setup of:

site to site vpn
site to remote vpn clients using RAS (active directory)
site to ssl vpn client

thanks

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I had the old Cisco ISCW book and the Cisco ASA All In One

I don't think the ISCW book covered the Active Directory integration portion but it covered the VPNs Over a few chapters.
    The ASA book is more specific for the ASA appliances (as you probable guessed)

Searching Cisco Config guides would also be a great place to get alot of info.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This, Amazon.com: The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide (9781587052040): Richard Deal: Books, is my personal favourite. Besides covering all major Cisco platforms Richard Deal is the best technical writer I've come across yet. It's a little lean on the configuration of SSL VPNs since they were relatively new at the time of publication, but then you could always follow it up with is new book on the ASA (yes I am an unashamed RD fanboy :) )
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks steve
    I appreciate your help ! :)
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    +1 for Richard Deal. He is a great author
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Another vote for Richard Deal even though I just finished reading the Syngress book on Junipers SSL VPN hardware. While you are waiting to pick something there are some nice background PDF's from the U.S. governments NIST for free download. Go to the 800 series pub list at
    http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html

Scroll down the page as pubs are in reverse numerical order and snag sp800-77 Guide to IPSEC VPN's and sp800-113 Guide to SSL VPN's. They are quick reads at 126 and 87 pages and will get you up to speed on general background. There are other interesting security pubs so look around; U.S. taxpayers did pay for them so snatch and grab. icon_lol.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ahriakin

hahah you are so funny dude..thanks so much for your prof opnions I need them it is always best to get stuff from guys who have been there. thanks a lot
    will look at everyones suggestions awesome thanks :)
    icon_thumright.gif

just bought both books off of amazon thanks ;) happy new year all!