Options

Anyone here actually take the LPI series?

I am trying to finish off Security+, once that is done, and there is no guarantee I will pass the first time, I will move on to Linux. I don't have any certifications, but I am in an environment where they seem important. Has anyone here actually take the series of exams? LPI 1,2, and 3? Are you expected to be an expert? I know how to use Linux and different flavors of Unix, but I don't know every little switch that goes along with the 'ls' command. Its also going to be a problem in knowing how things are done in different flavors of Linux have never played with anything other than RH, Fedora, and CentOS.

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think most go the new Linux+ which also gives you LPIC-1. From what I am seeing the course just wants you to know most of the basics in the most common areas. Both CompTIA and LPI should have there objectives.
  • Options
    /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done LPIC-1 and plan on doing the LPIC-2 after my RHCE. I studied off the latest Linux +book which is the same set of tests. If you pass the Linux + now you also get the LPIC-1.

I also used the following test sites to help me along. Some of them are out of date, but led me to research things that were not in the book.

PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page
    LPI - General Linux 1 - Testemulation
    Linux Test-:- Flashcards by cueFlash
    IT Exam Practice - Home

It was helpful to run both Ubuntu (Debian) and CentOS while studying. There are some aspects that cover both.

Other than that, you could get level one with a decent amount of experience and some good memorization. Before I started my linux certs I would look up most of the commands and flags that I didn't use on a daily basis. All this studying has helped me do much more from memory.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like others have said the new L+ is the LPIC-1 basically and you get both certs. I plan to take LPIC-1 and 2 next year.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    brownwrap wrote: »
    ... but I don't know every little switch that goes along with the 'ls' command. Its also going to be a problem in knowing how things are done in different flavors of Linux have never played with anything other than RH, Fedora, and CentOS.
    You'll be tested on things that work on all distros and as far as LPIC-1 objectives, that almost always means bash. From there on, you'll be tested on administration of actual services and in the highest LPI level you'll be expected to specialize on certain subject. Few things are distro- specific like the package management and locations of network configuration files.
    Great thing about LPI exams is that questions are straightforward and you are given ample time to answer them. Also, objectives are precise and you can almost build your own curriculum just based on your own web search on those objectives.
    The way I see it however is that after the LPIC-1 I'd have to specialize on a particular distro, either Linux or some other *nix. For some time I was leaning towards SUSE but after some casual labbing with OpenSolaris, I kinda lean towards Solaris.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Planning on doing LPI-1 next year. Just finished security+.
    Also looking for advice on good study materials.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If i were to choose which linux cert to pursue i would choose the Linux+. Like everyone has said, if you pass that test, you obtain both certs Linux+ and the LPIC1. The more the merrier!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    If i were to choose which linux cert to pursue i would choose the Linux+. Like everyone has said, if you pass that test, you obtain both certs Linux+ and the LPIC1. The more the merrier!

+ Novell CLA :)
  • Options
    I passed the Linux+ test In 2006 and looking to do LPI.
    I can't believe it has been 4 years!!!!!!
    I can't believe I've been playing with Linux this long.....
    I still have so much to learn.
    I'm supporting some 20 Linux servers now.
    Once you get them setup they run well. So, don't learn anything til something breaks.
    Or you have to do upgrade? That is where you truly learn.

LPI should help me stretch my knowledge.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    I passed the Linux+ test In 2006 and looking to do LPI.
    I can't believe it has been 4 years!!!!!!
    I can't believe I've been playing with Linux this long.....
    I still have so much to learn.
    I'm supporting some 20 Linux servers now.
    Once you get them setup they run well. So, don't learn anything til something breaks.
    Or you have to do upgrade? That is where you truly learn.

LPI should help me stretch my knowledge.

Linux+ gets me LPI , plus Novell's entry level Suse cert.
  • Options
    I'd have to check, but my test was the older version before they changed Linux+ to the LPI exams.
    I'll recheck requirements, but don't think the old will apply for LPI or CLA.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    I'd have to check, but my test was the older version before they changed Linux+ to the LPI exams.
    I'll recheck requirements, but don't think the old will apply for LPI or CLA.
    I already checked, it doesn't. You have to take the newest "Linux+ Powered by LPI" exams. I have the Linux+ 2004 and 2009 and neither qualify for LPI or CLA credit.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV