MCDST in one week?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I have touched on this subject in multiple threads in different forums, figure I should make it one thread...

I have the Sybex book for MCDST, combines both tests into one 500 page book. I am already done with one chapter, and started on the second. I do not go back to school until Jan 7th. I start my job on January 10th. Son goes back to school on Jan 3rd.

So i have this whole weekend still, and then I have nothing to do but study and read until Friday the 7th. I'm fresh off of studies from HDI, ITIL, A+, Net+, and Sec+. And I did several sections of Skillport's MCDST course before I ordered the Sybex book. So far I'm not too deep in it, but it obviously seems to really build off of A+ and Net+.

My goal is to get 3 chapters a day today and tommorrow. That would have me done with 7 chapters, leaving 4 to go. I could be 100% done with the book by Tuesday if not sooner. That gives me all day Wed and Thursday to practice test and review. Potentially taking the tests on Friday...

This will be the first time I have worked since March of 2010, and I will be starting Windows 7 on top of that, so I feel I would like to knock this out before starting all of that....

wish me luckicon_thumright.gif
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually just won the same book of ebay!! I'm not as ambitious in my time scale as you but I think it's do-able if you have the time.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    total of 4 chapters done.... six days to go
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    chapter 5 is done... still a long way to go, and I'm certainly behind schedule today
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    chapter 5 is done... still a long way to go, and I'm certainly behind schedule today

Don't feel bad, I had the last week off and was hoping to knock out the 272 book. I am only half done. I think I am going to test at the end of the month.
    I got chapter 6 done, and started 7, but it's a long chapter... not sure I'll get it done tonight... but as long as the book is done by Tuesday I will feel good
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got chapter 6 done, and started 7, but it's a long chapter... not sure I'll get it done tonight... but as long as the book is done by Tuesday I will feel good
    very nice dude, i get my ms book tomorrow. how are the labs going and what not. is information sticking? Like you probably, ive used XP foreeeeever. just wanted to gauge the difficulty.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    finished chapter 7... I've been using XP since it came out, installed it on tons of machines, fixed it, tweaked it etc... in fact this pc I'm currently on is using XP... so I really feel comfortable with it, it's just the off the top of the head memorization of things I'm working on really...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a good time. I'm considering blasting this out sometime before it expires. Let me know how a week goes.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    done with chapter 8, bout 140 pages to go... if I finish chapter 9 tonight I will be on target
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    well, I got chapter 9 down, and I'm certainly done for the night... but with less than a 100 pages to go, I should easily finish the book by tomorrow night.... I find the 272 part about applications to be much easier than the 271 part...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    done with Chapter 10, it was almost all rehash of A+/Net+, so I'm feeling pretty good about stuff now... did clear up some WINS/NetBIOS info for me though...

one chapter to go, then practice tests and flash cards... make a test decision by tomorrow i think
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    well, I finished the book... last chapter was on Security, which has been covered in detail by my A+/Net+/Sec+ studies, so it was pretty easy too...

I think I will be ready to take the exams Friday if I want to, but I gotta make sure I got the cash first
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Would you recommend the book? and what are you using for practice questions?
    howre you doing on practice tests?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    well, I got chapter 9 down, and I'm certainly done for the night... but with less than a 100 pages to go, I should easily finish the book by tomorrow night.... I find the 272 part about applications to be much easier than the 271 part...

The 272 test is much easier than the 271 test as well.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Would you recommend the book? and what are you using for practice questions?

I like the Sybex book, I like Bill Ferguson's writing style. I like how Sybex does things. They have an assessment test at the beginning and 20 questions at the end of every chapter, and it includes a bonus cd with the assessment test, all the chapter questions, and several bonus tests.

I never do the assessment test first, I find it pointless, clearly I bought the book to learn about the subject, what's the point of testing on it before I read about it? I'm going to read the book regardless of my score.

So as I read I do the tests at the end of every chapter, once I'm completely done, like now, I will pop the cd in and do the assessment test, then go through each chapter's test again, and then do the bonus tests.

After I am completely done, I like to keep notes on what I miss, and then I will go back and read that section again.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    well, alas my wallet is going to cripple me in this quest... I start work next week, meaning I get paid on the 21st....

my son's birthday is Saturday the 8th... things are going to be tight to get him any presents, and have money to last for food/gas/bills until the 21st....

even with the student discount, dropping $120 one day before his birthday seems a little un-wise, so essentially my experiment is a wash..

but I do think I could have passed, but regardless, I read the book, and I will keep on studying it and simply be a complete master of it by the 21st
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    I like the Sybex book, I like Bill Ferguson's writing style. I like how Sybex does things. They have an assessment test at the beginning and 20 questions at the end of every chapter, and it includes a bonus cd with the assessment test, all the chapter questions, and several bonus tests.

I think I'm gonna skip the book. I have the nuggets streaming subscription already so I'll just watch those. If I fail, I'll buy the book for my retake. Don't wanna blow $40 on nothing.
    you will probably be fine with that
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's been 7 days since you started this thread. Have you scheduled the exam?
    It's been 7 days since you started this thread. Have you scheduled the exam?

sadly no.. this...

well, alas my wallet is going to cripple me in this quest... I start work next week, meaning I get paid on the 21st....

my son's birthday is Saturday the 8th... things are going to be tight to get him any presents, and have money to last for food/gas/bills until the 21st....

even with the student discount, dropping $120 one day before his birthday seems a little un-wise, so essentially my experiment is a wash..

but I do think I could have passed, but regardless, I read the book, and I will keep on studying it and simply be a complete master of it by the 21st

my brain is ready, my wallet isn't.. but the 21st isn't too far away... voucher should be my first purchase
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Oh, yeah. I forgot you had mentioned that earlier. I feel it, man. It's why I have decided to wait for the beta exams for SQL Server 2011. "Iiiii aint got not money... No, no money"
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike did you ever get that helpdesk gig?
    I start on Monday, so even if I didn't take the cert test, I found the book was a good review to get me ready on Monday.... I haven't worked since March 2010... looking forward to getting back into it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike are you still shooting for after the 21st to take the 271 & 272.
    21st is pay day, so i'm shooting to buy the vouchers then, maybe take them Saturday the 22nd, or at least one of them, then take the next one the following Saturday
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    For some reason I was thinking these retired 3/31. Relieved to learn that it is actually 6/30. So really no rush
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    For some reason I was thinking these retired 3/31. Relieved to learn that it is actually 6/30. So really no rush

agreed, I was just rushing them at first due to having free time, but at this point it seems dumb to rush it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you want to upgrade to MCITP:EST & MCTS:Vista config by only taking one exam 70-621 (which does expire 3-31).

I'm hoping to sit for the MCDST by mid-Feb and then start on 621.
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Unless you want to upgrade to MCITP:EST & MCTS:Vista config by only taking one exam 70-621 (which does expire 3-31).

I'm hoping to sit for the MCDST by mid-Feb and then start on 621.

why not forget that and do the 7 upgrade later? it gives you mcts for the client exam (680) as well. which is a requirement for :sa or :ea7.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree