:(, Missed the deadline but passed Net+ today.

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
I took and passed the Network+ exam today with a score of 840.

The only material I used were these rather lean slide shows a coworker had (I think it accompanies one of the unofficial study guides). Wait, I did also do the practice test on this site.

But the title is a little misleading, as I took the exam back in 2006 and passed with a pretty high score. I merely took it just to get transfer credit to WGU (which I would like to start in the fall).

After taking the test today, I'd say IT/network administrator that has 2+ years of experience will not have difficulty with the exam. It's pretty simple:

OSI Reference Model
Protocols/Ports
Subnetting
Intermediate Devices (routers, switches, repeaters, hubs, bridges, WAPs)
some security
converged networks (VoIP and video)
Some knowledge of network operating systems
Network Troubleshooting tools
Approaches to troubleshooting.

I didn't read any book, but I hear the Mike Meyers or the Sybex books are good. The slide shows I looked at pretty much reviewed things I knew except for RCP/SCP and a few other things.

The questions I had a problem with were the questions on MDF/IDF, WAP throughput and some of CompTIA's terminology (example Link Aggregation isn't referred to as link aggregation like Cisco or VM).

Next, I plan on taking the 2008 Security+ if I can get my employer to pay for it.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took and passed the Network+ exam today with a score of 840.

The only material I used were these rather lean slide shows a coworker had (I think it accompanies one of the unofficial study guides). Wait, I did also do the practice test on this site.

But the title is a little misleading, as I took the exam back in 2006 and passed with a pretty high score. I merely took it just to get transfer credit to WGU (which I would like to start in the fall).

After taking the test today, I'd say IT/network administrator that has 2+ years of experience will not have difficulty with the exam. It's pretty simple:

OSI Reference Model
    Protocols/Ports
    Subnetting
    Intermediate Devices (routers, switches, repeaters, hubs, bridges, WAPs)
    some security
    converged networks (VoIP and video)
    Some knowledge of network operating systems
    Network Troubleshooting tools
    Approaches to troubleshooting.

I didn't read any book, but I hear the Mike Meyers or the Sybex books are good. The slide shows I looked at pretty much reviewed things I knew except for RCP/SCP and a few other things.

The questions I had a problem with were the questions on MDF/IDF, WAP throughput and some of CompTIA's terminology (example Link Aggregation isn't referred to as link aggregation like Cisco or VM).

Next, I plan on taking the 2008 Security+ if I can get my employer to pay for it.

The lifetime is overrated. Congratz on your new certification. I am hoping for you too. That is, to get your employer to pay for you security+

It's funny you say that, myself and several of my lower level IT brethern can seem to get that cert paid for, but anything else is denied. Bizarre!
  • MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the net+.

i missed the deadline for the security+.

i can get my employer to pay for any test i take in the future but not for my net+. i was told i cant get reimbursed for the net+ because i didn't get approval from HR before i took it. its BS cause they would have approved it anyways.