Options

70-642 Exam

Jybfan04Jybfan04 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed my 70-680 back in July and have been studying for the 70-642 off and on since then. I have a few questions as I have recently found out that the exam now covers 2008 R2 now. What are the difference between Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2? I am studying for my MCITP - SA and then to move on to my EA since I have my 680 out of the way. My study materials are the following:

Preplogic
Microsoft MCITP-SA Press Books
Techexams.net stickies and notes

I haven't really started labing but here is what my old setup consisted of:

Lenovo Windows 7 Laptop
1.8 GHZ processor (single core icon_sad.gif)
250gb HD
Virtual Box with 2 Windows 2008 Server, XP, Ubuntu

I am planning to delete the installations of Windows 2008 and upgrading to 2008 R2, but I also want to know what changes came with R2.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What's New: Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Enjoy icon_lol.gif - Aside from technet I don't know if there are any other sources that go over R2 in any depth. At least not yet.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks, I have another question...

What is the recommended lab setup for the 70-642 exam? What services should I install and setup and how many servers?
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Read up on all the new DNS stuff. Especially, DNSSEC.

Also, don't be surprised if you find several questions on exam taken verbatim from the practice set included with the MS Press 70-642 Training Kit.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    If i'm consistently passing the Microsoft press exam should I go ahead and schedule to take the exam? What should I use to gauge if i'm ready to take the exam?
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    Read up on all the new DNS stuff.

I remember getting a lot of DNS questions when I sat 642.............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    ByteProfileByteProfile Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed 70-642 about an hour ago with 723 icon_thumright.gif. File and Print almost sunk me :) - which makes sense because I focused on that section the least.

Been studying since Nov. 8th. I tried the Microsoft E-Learning and it was a waste of time and money. It is in no way in-depth enough to get you through this exam. The one benefit is the labs they provide for you, but a couple of them did not work even after emailing MS to try and get them to fix it. Stay away.

After e-learning, I used the 70-642 Training Kit book and setup an R2 server here and loaded it up with everything. AD DS, CA, DFS, DHCP, DNS, FSRM, NPS, RRAS, WSUS.

I didn't get any questions specifically for R2. No DirectAccess questions - though I had looked it over before I took the exam just in case.

Happy New Year!
  • Options
    I am looking at the R2 version and it requires a 64 bit processor and neither of my laptops are 64 bit. My mac book pro nor my windows laptop. If I just use the 2008 Enterprise edition what would you recommend I do to study for the r2?
  • Options
    So I started my labs and was finally able to figure out that my MAC Book Pro has a 64 bit processor but it wasn't until I installed 2008 as one of my servers.

My platform for studying is Virtual Box, love the software and its free. Here is my current setup that I am having problems with:

Server1 os Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition 180 day trial:

AD DS promoted to Primary DC
    DNS
    DHCP

Server 2 os Windows Server 2008 R2:

AD DS attempted to promote to Secondary Domain controller ran into a snag and I am not certain if its because one server is 2008 and the other 2008 R2. Both servers are joined to my lab domain that I created.

I ran the following prompts on my master schema for server 1

D:\sources\adprep\adprep /forestprep

D:\sources\adprep\adprep /domainprep/gpprep

The weird thing is I checked to ensure the master schema had all of the settings but I still couldn't create the secondary domain controller. Used ADSIEdit.msc to verify all my settings still a no go... Should I be looking to upgrade my 2008 server to r2 before I can set my 2008 server r2 as a secondary domain controller?
  • Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jybfan04 wrote: »

[\QUOTE]

You need to run adprep from the R2 disc which is in \support\adprep on the DVD.

R2 schema version is 47 while 2008 is 44. You can verify what version of schema you have using adsiedit and looking at the ObjectVersion property of the Schema container or running

dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion
  • Options

[\QUOTE]

You need to run adprep from the R2 disc which is in \support\adprep on the DVD.

R2 schema version is 47 while 2008 is 44. You can verify what version of schema you have using adsiedit and looking at the ObjectVersion property of the Schema container or running

dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion

So I run the adprep from the R2 disc on my 2008 which is my schema?
  • Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□

So I run the adprep from the R2 disc on my 2008 which is my schema?

Yes. If your 2008 machine is 32-bit, make sure you run the adprep32.exe version instead of adprep or else it won't work either.
  • Options
    Yes. If your 2008 machine is 32-bit, make sure you run the adprep32.exe version instead of adprep or else it won't work either.

Thanks, I was so stumped on what was the cause of the problem...