Is there an easy way to remember commands?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi one of my weak areas for this will be remembering how to type up various commands mainly as I dont really use that interface at all very much Im more of a Windows GUI type of person have worked my way around the GUI for years. So I was wondering if there is an easy way to remember some of the main commands? any one got any tips on how to be a netshel geek?

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Practice is the only way just like in Linux, use the commands instead of their GUI equivalents.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is what helped me: Make a chart of the more common ones you think you'd see. This will help cement the syntax in your head. Set up a virtual machine and practice, practice, practice. You can always use the /? with the command to see the various switches and proper syntax.

Darril has a new book coming out that covers commands for the 680,685,686 exams.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Here is what helped me: Make a chart of the more common ones you think you'd see. This will help cement the syntax in your head. Set up a virtual machine and practice, practice, practice. You can always use the /? with the command to see the various switches and proper syntax.

Darril has a new book coming out that covers commands for the 680,685,686 exams.

+1. That's what helped me retain my DOS (5.0, 6.0, 6.20, 6.22) knowledge. I used DOS for about a year before I used Windows 3.1, so CLIs are nothing that I'm afraid of...even if I had to deal with some penguin distro at some point in my career.

Nothing beats practice.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Using the commands. Practice practice practice.
    2. Documenting what you learned. Blogging helps me a lot.
    3. Getting used to help. Find something that lists the commands you need to know for you. Like get-command in Powershell.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By the way, practicing to me isn't just typing in the command.

I can't just type in netstat -a and have it really sink in.

I have to present myself with some scenario and test it... For example, type netstat -a... Then disable remote logins 3389 (RDP) then run netstat -a. It gives you a tested purpose of the command, which really sinks in at that point.

Document you test case on your blog (or whatever) for other people to use if they want to test. That's the best way to learn a command.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And to step things up one more notch try combining things if you can. i.e. for that netstat -a you could do netstat -a | find ":3389"

You'll find a number of ways to make some of your tasks easier that way.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/