Do I need a 3550?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm jumping into this cert right after ccna:s because my employer is moving from nec to cisco voip next year. I have cucm experience from two previous jobs, we had publisher, subscriber, and unity deployments supporting 20 offices.

My current home lab is two 2620xm's with full memory, and two 2950's with ei. My employer is willing to pay for my lab equipment up to a certain pricepoint.

With that being said, will I absolutely need a 3550 or can I get by with my 2950's and some power bricks?

Also, besides phones, if there is other equipment that I might need for this then please suggest. Thanks.

Comments

• johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    im just using my 2950's with power bricks.

i also bought a nm-2v, vic-2fxo (to connect my lab to the PSTN), an a vic-2fxs. Never hurts to learn how to connect up the legacy stuff.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Assuming you have CME on your 2620XM, you don't 'need' a 3550. But if you want good practice for layer 3 switching configurations in a phone environment, and perhaps preparation into the CCNP:V and/or CCNP realm, go ahead and get one if you can afford it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Assuming you have CME on your 2620XM, you don't 'need' a 3550. But if you want good practice for layer 3 switching configurations in a phone environment, and perhaps preparation into the CCNP:V and/or CCNP realm, go ahead and get one if you can afford it.

Yeah, I'm definitely going ccnp and probably ccvp. Our entire infrastructure will be converted to cisco next year. Plus, we will be converting our p2p links to mpls. Im going to be busy for a while. Best job Ive ever had.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm definitely going ccnp and probably ccvp. Our entire infrastructure will be converted to cisco next year. Plus, we will be converting our p2p links to mpls. Im going to be busy for a while. Best job Ive ever had.

Then a 3550 would be a good investment.

Random question: How many p2p links do you have (ish) that made you decide to go to a MPLS solution? Was there a trigger that made it just 'need to happen'?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Then a 3550 would be a good investment.

Random question: How many p2p links do you have (ish) that made you decide to go to a MPLS solution? Was there a trigger that made it just 'need to happen'?

Right now we have four p2p individual links so 8 t-1's total across two states. We are opening 6 offices next year so if we stick with p2p that'll be 12 t-1's minimum unless we do bonded circuits which requires more. That's a rediculous amount of money for a company our size which is less than 300 staff. Mpls just makes sense financially and we can shift our existing t-1 circuits into the mpls cloud without having to renew contracts or eat early termination costs. From what I understand it is easier and faster to provision a satellite office for mpls than a p2p.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All the basic VLAN stuff you can do in packet tracer, free. Other than that, I used to a $20 2924xm and power bricks since at the time I didn't have access to anything with POE.
    -Daniel
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Well if the boss is paying I'd get the 3550 for sure and like the prev post said get some PSTN cards, At least 2 vwics, 1 fxs and 1 fxo cards.

All told if purchased from ebay I'd say under 500 bucks.

I wish my boss would offer to pay for hardware... Take advantage that's why they offered.
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Well if the boss is paying I'd get the 3550 for sure and like the prev post said get some PSTN cards, At least 2 vwics, 1 fxs and 1 fxo cards.

All told if purchased from ebay I'd say under 500 bucks.

I wish my boss would offer to pay for hardware... Take advantage that's why they offered.

They are also paying for all my certs and learning materials icon_thumright.gif
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    They are also paying for all my certs and learning materials icon_thumright.gif

My boss is paying for everything as well ... Oh, wait... I am my boss.

Last month, I picked up a couple of 3524-XL-PWR and a 3550-24-PWR switch for my lab (retiring a couple of 2950s and I already had a 3550-48-SMI) and I picked those up from evilBay for between $45 and $115. That gives me 2 x 3550 (1 PWR) and 2 x 3524-XL-PWR. I may add an additional 35XX-PWR later.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    My boss is paying for everything as well ... Oh, wait... I am my boss.

Last month, I picked up a couple of 3524-XL-PWR and a 3550-24-PWR switch for my lab (retiring a couple of 2950s and I already had a 3550-48-SMI) and I picked those up from evilBay for between $45 and $115. That gives me 2 x 3550 (1 PWR) and 2 x 3524-XL-PWR. I may add an additional 35XX-PWR later.

Aren't the 3524's a tad archaic?
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Aren't the 3524's a tad archaic?

Maybe, but they handle dot1q, QoS, and provide power! Basicly everything needed minus L3.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    My boss pays for all the books up front and also the tests if I pass them so i shouldn't really complain because I know most people are shelling out of pocket for everything.

On the other hand if your employer can use your new skills then even with books, tests and hardware if you look at the cost of the time involved they still get a pretty good deal.
    I just picked up a 3550-pwr-emi off of ebay for $200. I got tired of shopping around for a good deal.