Server + Questions

buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I just got my A+ and Network + , thinking about taking sec+ in march , but was interested in the Server+ . Is this cert a lifetime cert? Is it worth getting , do employers really look at this? Is it a difficult exam? Thanks

opps I meant to write server+ in the thread name..mods please delete or change thread name , thanks

Comments

• capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I just got my A+ and Network + , thinking about taking sec+ in march , but was interested in the Server+ . Is this cert a lifetime cert? Is it worth getting , do employers really look at this? Is it a difficult exam? Thanks

opps I meant to write server+ in the thread name..mods please delete or change thread name , thanks

It is lifetime (at least for now). Whether or not it's worth getting really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a server administrator, then yes, this cert would probably be a good one to start with. If you want to go into networking or want to become a support tech, then no, it probably won't help much (although maybe it might be useful for a support tech if they work with servers a lot). But, you know, it certainly isn't a bad thing to try and get it, it only opens up opportunities while not really committing yourself to anything, plus you will gain fundamental knowledge which may wind up being useful in whatever career or personal endeavor you pursue. As for the difficulty of the exam, well, I don't know if it really is any harder than A+ or Network+. However the trouble is there is literally no decent book or study tool for the 2009 exam yet, so, in effect, the test might seem harder because it is far more difficult to prepare for.

As for your thread title, you can change it. Just click "edit post" or something like that in the bottom left corner of the post and then hit "Go advanced". Here you can edit the thread title.

Good luck!
  • TheOGMacTheOGMac Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Server + I look at as an in between from the entry level (A+ and Network+) and midlevel Security +. 1/2 of Server + is going to overlap with the other certs.

If your going after a Microsoft Track like MCSA / MCSE and you already have A+ and Network + you "probably" won't see a real value to it, as you can already use your A+ and Net+ combined as an elective for either of those tracks.

Some HP and Dell certifications require Server + before they will let you gown down thier specific server certs, but that said, in most cases haveing your MCSA will override the requirement in most cases.

IMO Server+ is a nice ground level cert that really dosen't have much of a use, as most people certify on a more specific platform (MCSA for example)

It's also a $250 certification that at this point is good for life, if you had the time and the cash to take the test it's not going to hurt you, but there's other options that will help you more for the same time and money.
  • buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks for the information.. and thank you for the tip on the title change lol
  • buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @theOGmac My school reimburses me for my certs so I am thinking about taking the server + over the summer, hopefully someone releases a good book soon .. thanks for the info