Options

New to the Sec+ cert, have questions

steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Got a new job that relates to defense. It was the last 3 days in dec, my new boss asked me if it was possible for me to get the sec+ cert before the year is up. I first thought, how is it possible for me to cert on something I might only have 48hrs to study upon. I searched for some testing certers on CompTIA and noticed none in my area were offering exams until the beg of next year.

So anyway he indicated that I should go ahead and get it anyway just to have it. I was doing some more research and I now understand why he wanted me to get it (it's going to expire end of 2011). So if I understand correctly if I get Sy0-201 now it's not going to be good for 3 years (is it worth it)? Also, is Sy0-201 still being offered? Should I sill try to get Sy0-201?

Comments

• Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    SY0-201 is still currently available, at the end of this year (2011) the new test, SY0-301, is due to be released. The objectives for this exam are available for download on the CompTIA website.

I believe the cert is worth it, its a stepping stone to further quals in the security realm of IT. And I don't understand why you would say it would not be worth it in 3 years time. Yes by that stage the new exam will be in full swing, just means you have to retest on newer objectives and technologies - no biggie!
  • Options
    incry6tincry6t Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    security+ is not going to be expired, be it sy0-201 or sy0-301. 301 won't be available till the end of year. i'd study now and take 201 if i were you, there are more study material. this cert is required if you're looking for government jobs like dod.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    yes the 201 will be at end of life but it wont expire. You will still hold a valid and current Sec+ with CompTIA until 3 years from the date of certification. At that time you will probably have to renew.
  • Options
    dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are new to the Security+ (Exam SY0-201), this exam is still available, but it will change again later on this year sometime in the summer or fall of this year. The downside to the CompTIA re-new policy is that starting Jan 1st 2011, you have to re-new your certification every 3 years in order for your cert to be current.

If you need more info on this or study material just check out my posting:

"I hope there's people out there in the same boat as I am? Today December 30th 2010, ONLY ONE DAY Left for the Life Time Certification for the A+, Network+ or the Security+ certification, even do I started late December 10th or 12th ? 2010 Purchased the Preplogic video and material, including several books (Mike Meyers Passport Security+, Exam Cram, Darril Gibson Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-201) I also purchase several testing software, I got 100% on the Learn Key Master exam, but 66% on the measureup testing so I have no idea if I am really ready for this Security+ 2008 SY0-201 Exam I wanted to have the Lifetime certification Security+ 2008, but looks like its not going to happen. I am open to any ideas, suggestions, tips regarding how to prepare for this exam, Cryptography is the one I find the difficult one to master."

Dan L.
  • Options
    TNT143TNT143 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey there! From what I am understanding the 301 just has new objectives, and you can 'eventually' bridge 201 with 301... which I believe just tests you on the knew objectives.

I have seen on other posts here that the 3-year mark is for DOD workers because of the FISMA guidelines (C&A happens every 3 years, so its keeping up with the new technology, plus CompTIA revamps every 3 years too).

Hope it helps!
    WIP
    Project+
    MS: Info. Sys Mgt/Info Security

:thumbup: Achieved
    Security+
    ITIL Foundations v3
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think SY0-301 will be released on May 2011