Options

CCDA vs CCNA

KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
how difficult would you say the CCDA is to the CCNA?

in comparison.. like a scale of 1 to 10. If you passed your CCNA...

is it merely another side-step test... or does it involve a bit more studying for?

thinking about going for my CCDA soon after my CCNA..

thanks in advance for your opinions.

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    It's like apples to oranges. The CCDA is all theory. There arent really even any labs to do. However, the CCDA recommends BCMSN (aka switch) and BSCI (aka route). CCDA has some "advanced" things like choosing which routing protocols to run and where, which is ROUTE type stuff.
  • Options
    awesome... thanks alot.
    icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    It's like apples to oranges. The CCDA is all theory. There arent really even any labs to do. However, the CCDA recommends BCMSN (aka switch) and BSCI (aka route). CCDA has some "advanced" things like choosing which routing protocols to run and where, which is ROUTE type stuff.

CCDA requires "CCNA Knowledge" as a prerequisite.
    CCDP requires SWITCH and ROUTE exams. Very similar to the CCNP.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    chmorin wrote: »
    CCDA requires "CCNA Knowledge" as a prerequisite.
    CCDP requires SWITCH and ROUTE exams. Very similar to the CCNP.

Holy crap I just realized I had that all backwards. Although on the CCDA page it states the switch and route are recommended. I found the CCDA easier after the CCNP stuff.
  • Options
    is the CCDA worth having?

I mean honestly, I was just going to use it as a Resume fluffer.

I want to get more into security than anything.

some opinions from people in the field would be nice.

thanks in advance. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I dont think a CCDA is going to help in getting a security related job. You'd likely be better off pursuing the CCNA:Security in my opinion. I think the CCDA would be more geared toward someone in charge of network upgrades or new LAN deployments. The only people at Cisco, that I know of, who use have/use a CCDA are in the sales dept. None of the lab admins or lab techs have a CCDA nor do I see any reason as to why they would need one.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    KoolTrix, if you want Security I would recommend you go for the CCNA-Security and not the CCDA (at least at first)- The CCDA/DP is for people that design and architect networks. There is some security in them but not like the CCNA-Security will have and therefore not only help you get the job but help you perform it.
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For someone in a smaller network where they might have to deal with all sorts of upgrades/changes, having the CCDA might be helpful.