DNS in VMware does not work

propellergrouppropellergroup Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I've got small problem, I am fairly new when it comes to virtual servers. I have virtualized windows server 2003 on a client. If I would create a host record in DNS in a virtual server, example:
name:test
FQDN: test.apple.com
IP address: 192.168.1.10

I can't ping test ( or FQDN)

If I would do the same thing on a physical server I would be able to ping test.

I guess it's some kind of bridging issue between the client and the virtual machine. I'd really appreciate if someone could advice me what to do.

Thanks

J.S

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It does work. I guess my initial thought is to ensure that both the client and the server are on the same virtual network.

Can you ping 192.168.1.10? Is the client configured with the correct DNS server?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It does work. I guess my initial thought is to ensure that both the client and the server are on the same virtual network.

Can you ping 192.168.1.10? Is the client configured with the correct DNS server?

This would be my vote. The host that is performing the ping does not have the proper DNS entry in the IP Configuration.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you ping the host name, and it returns something like "Pinging host.domain.com [x.x.x.x]", then it was able to query DNS for the IP, and the time out is simply your client not being able to ping the host. If you don't get the IP when you ping the hostname (you get "could not find host) then you either can't reach the DNS server from your client, or the DNS Server does not have information about the host.

Can you communicate out from the VM? Is the VM even on the same network as your client?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • propellergrouppropellergroup Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The VM is on the same network as the client. I can ping the server name in the VM, the FQDN and the ip address for the VM. I got internet connection and can ping external addresses(ip and domain names) everything is working fine, it's just that I cant ping newly created dns host or aliases (CNAME). I am sure it's caused becasue a silly mistake by me.

Thanks

J.S
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The VM is on the same network as the client. I can ping the server name in the VM, the FQDN and the ip address for the VM. I got internet connection and can ping external addresses(ip and domain names) everything is working fine, it's just that I cant ping newly created dns host or aliases (CNAME). I am sure it's caused becasue a silly mistake by me.

Thanks

J.S

Can you please run ipconfig /all on the VM (server) and the client and post the output here?