Options

Happy Boxing Day (ha)

NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
Pros and cons of using the old IOS commands

US old guys will use the command wr ter to view the running config
The kids use sh ru

Conclusion: show run is the better command to use, at present you only need to type five characters + CR whereas write terminal requires six characters + CR. Of course some IOS versions allow you to use wr te, which would might make this debate a tie.

However, the show run command allows cool options with the more command, so I'll have to go with show run as the winner.

..........................................................................................................................

Us old guys also tend to use wr mem to save a config to the startup-config.
The kids use copy run star

Conclusion:

Hands down, us old guys win this one as copy run star will hurt your little fingertips with all that typing.

:)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

(Hey, I might as well post to TechExams, they cancelled the Eagles game due to snow)

Yo

Comments

• Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    any more tips? how about the do show command, surely it is a great command to use!

older ios didnt allow you do that (which i think it might have been for a good reason, i was using 3550 to change the name of a vlan, do show command still showed the older name of the vlan untill i got out of the vlan-config prompt).

how did you guys got around that?
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    US old guys

What constitutes an "old guy"?

I recently discovered using section instead of include when doing output modifiers.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    What constitutes an "old guy"?

I recently discovered using section instead of include when doing output modifiers.

a guess:
    old guy in networking is someone who still makes cross over cables with a pair of pliers and not aware of auto mdix introduced in some new equipment. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tndfr wrote: »
    old guy in networking is someone who still makes cross over cables
    Crossover cables? What about vampire taps and 10Base5.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Crossover cables? What about vampire taps and 10Base5.

now you are showing your age...!
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    tndfr wrote: »
    a guess:
    old guy in networking is someone who still makes cross over cables with a pair of pliers and not aware of auto mdix introduced in some new equipment. icon_wink.gif

well, turning off auto speed and duplex negotiation breaks auto mdix, so it is still best practice to use the right cables. At least that's my opinion.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i love the wr mem command as much as i do the sh run command.

Always have the best of both worlds old and new. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I'm currently working on tuning my token ring network to support my AS400's

• Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well, I belong to the kids generation(I wish:)) even wasn't aware that wr ter exists icon_sad.gif but wr mem is great :) better than copy run start

Happy New Year :)
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I'm currently working on tuning my token ring network to support my AS400's

Source route bridging and virtual rings? It may be time to read RIFs again and watch out for explorer frames ;)
  • Options
    Very cool Turgon, although we did retire our noble AS400 around 3 years ago.

IBM did finally offer us a good deal on 4/16/100 Mbps cards, but by then it was too late.

In this economy, all our old techs (except me) got their walking papers

I joke with my friends that they keep me around just in case they someday need to connect to a mainframe, although most of the kids I work with don't even know what a mainframe is.