Failed it

Lazarus2255Lazarus2255 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the exam and scored a 680 on it. I'm pretty bummed about it considering how much time and effort I really did put into this one. I got several questions where all the answers were right, but they wanted the best one of the 4. Kind of figured it's best to side on the most paranoid answer. I've rescheduled the exam for Jan 20, and hopefully this time I will be prepared better. I read the CompTIA Security+ book , went through LabSim, and am currently reading the Sybex book. Not too sure what else I can do. This exam is way different than the A+ or Network+ IMO. Any advice for a guy with less than 2 weeks to study?

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not too sure what else I can do. This exam is way different than the A+ or Network+ IMO. Any advice for a guy with less than 2 weeks to study?

You're probably going to get a flood of the "standard" responses to this inquiry. I might as well start that off....

You know the book that's been touted...and if for some reason you didn't, spend the $10 on Amazon and download Darril Gibson's book on Kindle for PC (download the application too and install it).....if you do it now and read it, you'll be done in 2-5 days...well before the 20th.

The link is all over the Security+ forum OR you can do a search of Darril Gibson on Amazon.

Anything else is just insanity (when you perform the same thing and expect a different result... :) ).

Best of luck on Round 2!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I used a combination of Darril's book and the sybex testing cds
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went with the Sybex book and the Syngress Book for this one . The each have gaps that can be filled by others -

Also will advice your to try out some practice exams ( in this site )

Good Luck

** just concentrate on the stuff where your scale was less than average
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used just Darril's book and managed to pull out an 812 with only a week's worth of study. It's a good book, informative, easy to read and the print version is REALLY easy on the eyes. Nice big font and easy to highlight and jam notes in the margin (I'm the kind to literally destroy books with notes all over the pages).

Get yourself that book and jam through it - you'll get it next time.
  • Lazarus2255Lazarus2255 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well thanks for the replies, I bought the kindle version of the book (hey 9.99 can't beat that price), and will dive into it. Hopefully next time I'll be ready. Just need to get over the intimidation factor of it now. I killed the A+ and Network+ and was kind of blown away by this one, but I know what to expect this time around.
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    I used Darrill's book only and got 822. I'm even reading it again for fun.
  • O'HurleyO'Hurley Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Used Sybex book and Labsim- studied for about a month, then passed with an 862....easy exam. I thought the sybex book was pretty good actually. If you got the 3 book set of the sybex books, use the lab manual to help you apply concepts you are having trouble with.
    Currently Working On:
    -70-680, MCITP Enterprise Admin,
    -B.S. I.T (Net Design, Mgmt.)
    Currently Using/Reading:
    -Labsim 70-680
    -MS Press 70-680
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I used Darril's book alone as well, got a 781. If get 90% on all his practice questions, you're set for round 2.

DG's book combined with the resources you have already read, I'm sure you will score higher than me. Goodluck!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I know you are bummed by a 680, but honestly, that isn't a bad failing score on a first try. You are 70 points away from passing. I know that sounds like a lot, but really that's just a few questions that you missed.

If you read and understand Darril's book, I think you will pass on the 20th.
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    I agree with other posters, 680 is not a bad fail mark, it is not really that far from a pass. Just focus your time on the domain points that you tripped up in to get you over the line.

I cannot agree more that DG's book is very helpful. I used it as my sole study material for the exam and scored an 833.

You do have one ace up your sleeve however, and that is you now know from your practice attempt, how poorly some of the questions can be worded, so thats one thing you know you can prepare for. DG's book does not prepare you for the shocking english used in some portions of the test (well in the test that I was given at least and I have read other posts regarding the poor dialect)

Good luck with your next attempt! You'll get it! icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I totally understand how you feel. I fail the Sec+ before. Like everyone else mentioned Darril Gibson book fill in so many gaps, it is straight to the point and easy read. You will definitely pass the exam with Darril's book. Now I read sybex, AIO, comptia security+ book, security+ for dummies and none of them (in my opinion) did it for me. It wasn't until I read Darril's book where i got a clear understanding of each domain. I didn't just want to pass the exam, I wanted to understand the material. Know the objective and understand the material.

On the exam, you have to pick the best answers. Two answers could be correct, but pick the best answer that fit the situation. I would recommend that you print off the objective and go through each domain to ensure you have a good understanding. Write or type it out if you have too. I wish you the best, and keep trying don't give up!!!
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I totally understand how you feel. I fail the Sec+ before. Like everyone else mentioned Darril Gibson book fill in so many gaps, it is straight to the point and easy read. You will definitely pass the exam with Darril's book. Now I read sybex, AIO, comptia security+ book, security+ for dummies and none of them (in my opinion) did it for me. It wasn't until I read Darril's book where i got a clear understanding of each domain. I didn't just want to pass the exam, I wanted to understand the material. Know the objective and understand the material.

On the exam, you have to pick the best answers. Two answers could be correct, but pick the best answer that fit the situation. I would recommend that you print off the objective and go through each domain to ensure you have a good understanding. Write or type it out if you have too. I wish you the best, and keep trying don't give up!!!

You are so close to passing the exam, your score was not bad.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    All I used was Darrils book and went through the labsim practice tests once. I didn't use labsim for anything else and used no other resources, spent a few weeks doing this, scored 855. So yeah, get Darrils book.