Options

Semi-Nervouse about Exam!!!!!

TNT143TNT143 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I'm somewhat nervouse about the Sec+ exam, I have it scheduled for 1/21/11! I am using the Darril Gibson book as a study guide as well as several other practice exams on this site and some someone else gave me (I think its from the JK-01 or something like that) and I have been fairly successful on his practice tests.

I'm nervouse because I'm not a super 'techy' type person and the ports/protocols and encryptions are giving me a hard time. The other aspects about physical security, passwords, etc (not the nitty gritty) are fairly easy because of my background... is there a good balance of both types of questions or is it more 'nitty gritty'?

Any insight would be extremely helpful!
WIP
Project+
MS: Info. Sys Mgt/Info Security

:thumbup: Achieved
Security+
ITIL Foundations v3

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At the time I took it I felt it iwas fairly ballanced. I would not worry and just make sure you know the most fundamental ports. Any questions you see about a protocol like HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, FTP, PPTP in your practice exams, just make a flash card for it and do the flash cards to help build your confidence.

Don't worry too much.
  • Options
    security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TNT143 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I'm somewhat nervouse about the Sec+ exam, I have it scheduled for 1/21/11! I am using the Darril Gibson book as a study guide as well as several other practice exams on this site and some someone else gave me (I think its from the JK-01 or something like that) and I have been fairly successful on his practice tests.

I'm nervouse because I'm not a super 'techy' type person and the ports/protocols and encryptions are giving me a hard time. The other aspects about physical security, passwords, etc (not the nitty gritty) are fairly easy because of my background... is there a good balance of both types of questions or is it more 'nitty gritty'?

Any insight would be extremely helpful!

I wasn't a real "techy" person when i sat for the Security+. I would recommend that you read Darril's book until you have a good understanding of the materials. Review the technotes on this site, go through the objective and mak sure you understand each domain. What helped me was the fact that I took time to go through the objective and Darril's book. Make flash cards, take notes, study from your notes, use wikipedia.
  • Options
    FrankThFrankTh Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello TNT143

I used Darril Gibson book and the sybex book a little.
    I passed the exam with a 805 score. 4 weeks of readings.

On the practice exams, final one was an 88%.

When I passed the real exam, I was sure I was failing and had the nice surprise to see the congratulation screen.

Some have a perfectionnist personnality, which I am part of it. Any mistake or hesitation is making me doubting about myself...

Darril Gibson is the reference.

Good success and pass the exam with confidence.

FrankTh
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Was pretty dang nervous when it came time to review questions at the end of the test. I went back, finished up the ones I hadn't answered or specifically flagged. I almost went back through every question once more just to feel comfortable, said to myself "if I do this i'm gonna second guess myself" clicked submit, did the survey and was surprised to see the pass screen. This was the only test I have taken thus far that I was nervous about so I know where you're coming from.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    TNT143TNT143 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I started reading DG's book in November had planned to take the exam in December 2010, but a research paper for my master's course was really kicking my butt and I put it off until January.

I have mainly been using DG's book and studying really hard... going back and taking all his prac quizzes, pre- and post-assessments and well, I do 'ok'... I'm now going back and reviewing the 'notes'... I know I'm going to pass, just a nervouse test taker! :)
    WIP
    Project+
    MS: Info. Sys Mgt/Info Security

:thumbup: Achieved
    Security+
    ITIL Foundations v3