Using the Best Study Resources..

buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am taking a security course over the summer and we are using this book Amazon.com: Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals (9781428340664): Mark Ciampa: Books [2008]

Now I am probably going to get the 2nd edition (2004) for this anyways to save a little money.. But I really want to get Darril Gibsons book alongside with this book so I am really prepared for the Sec+...Do you all think that the most recent publication of gibsons book is adequate enough for the new sec+ objectives? Looking for some input before I buy..thanks

Comments

• TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Hi All,

I am taking a security course over the summer and we are using this book Amazon.com: Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals (9781428340664): Mark Ciampa: Books [2008]

Now I am probably going to get the 2nd edition (2004) for this anyways to save a little money.. But I really want to get Darril Gibsons book alongside with this book so I am really prepared for the Sec+...Do you all think that the most recent publication of gibsons book is adequate enough for the new sec+ objectives? Looking for some input before I buy..thanks

His current book covers the current objectives(there might be overlap). Anything that comes out from now on should cover the new ones. As many have stated the current Darril Gibson book is all you need to pass the current exam. Since the new one isn't out yet, Any material for it remains to be seen. At least to me, but then again, I haven't looked that hard.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Hi All,

I wouldn't use an older book, you'll learn old stuff that you may not need to know.

If price is a concern get the kindle version of Darril Gibsons book, its only $9.99.
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    badboyeee wrote: »
    If price is a concern get the kindle version of Darril Gibsons book, its only $9.99.
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store

+1 Yes the Kindle for PC option is a very affordable option to get DG's book, or any other as well for that matter..

And if you decide to purchase the DG book, it has a 100% coverage of the 201 objectives, so its a good base for your study material.. I only used his book for study and passed quite easily on my first attempt.
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    +1 Yes the Kindle for PC option is a very affordable option to get DG's book, or any other as well for that matter..

And if you decide to purchase the DG book, it has a 100% coverage of the 201 objectives, so its a good base for your study material.. I only used his book for study and passed quite easily on my first attempt.

I went with Kindle for pc option as well. I am thinking about getting an e-reader, but am still undecided, so I installed the Kindle app on my laptop and went ahead and got DG's book. Looks good on my screen and is easy to read...but I will still get an e-reader eventually I think. :)
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    i didnt know about the kindle app until not long after i purchased a few books haha, oh well
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    I went with Kindle for pc option as well. I am thinking about getting an e-reader, but am still undecided, so I installed the Kindle app on my laptop and went ahead and got DG's book. Looks good on my screen and is easy to read...but I will still get an e-reader eventually I think. :)

I can tell you that my Kindle helped me tremendously in staying up reading the Sybex PK0-003 book for the Project+ exam. Text-To-Speech (TTS) is really a great feature when you want to get through something as boring as Project Management quickly. I have the 2nd generation Kindle, but after a year or two, I would totally upgrade to a hotter version of the DX, if only for the larger screen. It is totally worth it if you can get your hands on one.

As opposed to DG's book, TTS was totally unnecessary. The fact that I was able to read stuff I already knew (I tend to zone out or want to skim through it quickly) really is a testament to how good that book was to read...it was the first of quite a few books I finished reading on my Kindle device. I absolutely love my Kindle...it helped me pass my last two CompTIA certs... :D
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson's book really lives up to the hype. I was rather skeptical about the perfection-in-every-way reputation it has here, but I read it and passed the test with flying (nearly perfect) colors. I already knew a portion of the information from a class I took about a year ago, and I was almost taken aback by how easily and simply he explained concepts that were previously difficult for me to fully understand.

The book is really nice because the language is simple and -very- concise, and the text is broken up into relatively small blocks. As I was reading it, I never felt bogged down by detail, which usually bores me and makes me start thinking about grabbing a beer to "help" me read (that never goes well).

Since the book is so inexpensive, I'd definitely recommend getting it to at least supplement your other book.
  • buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup thats good to hear @arysta .. sounds like its gunna be a fun read.