Where To start Looking For work A+ certificate all i have?

eljunbo809eljunbo809 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok this upcoming monday i will be taking the 702 and 701 exams A+. I would like to know where can i start looking for job i live in nyc i have my High school diploma and thats about it. i want to proceed and work on my security+ or network+ or maybe pass both and go take a 2-3 month course and try to get my ccna. But right now I want your guys personal experience views in were should i start looking for work first ? how can i search online for this kind of job what is the keyword i need to put in monster.com, indeed.com, careerbuilder.com.

Remember Guys Dont tell me to go enroll myself in college :) i am not planning on doing it i have been unemployed for almost 2 years now and i have to start looking for a job were i know i could learn more and get atleast paid $10-$15 an hour starting i am to grown already 23 and still suffering in this economy situation. so please give me advice in where to start and ideas in how to look for jobs in person.

Comments

• WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Mcdonalds....

But seriously, A+ is nothing when it comes to looking for a job, it won't even open the door on many occasions as it is just an entry level certification. Your best bet is to do some volunteer work and gain some EXPERIENCE. Above all else experience is the key, more so than certifications.

NYC is a hard place to find a job, especially in these times, so good luck. But you really should be working on more certifications and gain more experience.

Have you thought about the U.S. military? Just an option to get you some free education and a decent job.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eljunbo809 wrote: »
    But right now I want your guys personal experience views in were should i start looking for work first ?
    Everywhere. If you don't look there for the job, someone else will.
    how can i search online for this kind of job what is the keyword i need to put in monster.com, indeed.com, careerbuilder.com.
    Probably unsuccessfully, just like the other 1000 people in your area whose job search methodology is sitting on the sofa and applying for the 3 or 4 new jobs that appeared since last night of which 2 have already been filled and someone nephew is getting the 3rd one.

The A+ gives you some basic computer skills -- but hopefully you've some enthusiasm to backup your career choice. Hit up the electronics superstores and apply to their Nerd Herds.

Do you have Microsoft Office on a computer? How are your Microsoft Word and Excel skills? Are you smarter than the average computer illiterate bear and office worker. The Network+ and an MCP/MCTS could crack open a few doors -- or at least knock on them to get someones attention.

People skills are usually the #1 requirement for the basic entry level help desk jobs. While you may find help desk jobs that require a Masters Degree and 5 years of experience -- with CCNP and MCSE required and CCIE preferred -- apply anyways, especially if they are paying $12 an hour. Try your local ISPs, phone companies, cable companies, etc. While most of them will have consolidated call centers in Podunk or overseas, you still need to try. There are still a bunch of ISPs and small service providers out there -- and someone might need a person to drive hardware to the customer sites and maybe even rack it, wire it, plug it in, and turn it on.

Hit up your local Technology Centers and Business Parks and drop off your resume. You're probably not going to get past the front gate of a Mega Corp, but you can apply online and move on to Plan C or D. If you're a well dressed confident go-getter with a positive looking for work you may get someone at a small company to notice you and talk to you. You may walk into a company with an opening -- or you may impress someone enough to create your own opening.

Hit up the temp agencies around your home and around the areas you'd want to work and drop off your resume.

If you can convince someone that you were Born to Network or Born to SysAdmin (don't get permanent tattoos just yet) you might find a Vendor Business Partner willing to take you on as a Delivery Driver -- and then you move up from there. Cisco has their Partner Locator on their website. Microsoft probably has one on their website. etc...

Grab a phone book.... and check out this old post of mine for a more complete list of what you could do to HUNT DOWN a Job.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/59556-i-need-help-i-really-have-absolutely-no-job-getting-skills-all.html#post466395. And then read that entire thread.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A+ IS SOMETHING when looking for a job. It depends on what people are looking for in the city you're looking for work. So for example, I was seeing voice requests for a little bit in Grand Rapids. Anyways, check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com and do a search for "A+" in "NYC".

Also, I think school will really help you get where you want to go (yes I went there). A lot of companies will require a Bachelors degree but there are some jobs that will take an Associates or no degree at all. The jobs that don't require a degree are more difficult to find. It's just one of those things that you might have to do to get where you want to be.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • eljunbo809eljunbo809 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like everyone little idea even thought some of you are foolish playing me with some of your comments but i need to admitted it so ya telling if i get my compatia a+ certificate ayleast the door are going to open for atleast 10-13 an hour paying job in the entry level?
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    I like everyone little idea even thought some of you are foolish playing me with some of your comments but i need to admitted it so ya telling if i get my compatia a+ certificate ayleast the door are going to open for atleast 10-13 an hour paying job in the entry level?

Your certifications will open doors,your experience will get you jobs and your attitude will keep you on the job and probably elevate you. Unfortunately, you dont have any.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess I should add communication skills along with people skills as being the minimum for an entry level helpdesk job.

If your resume looks like crap no amount of certifications will help. Hopefully you're typing these posts on your phone while driving.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • eljunbo809eljunbo809 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mikej412 yes I am in a phone sorry for grammar and spelling
  • bc901bc901 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mikej412 yes I am in a phone

8Yi70.jpg
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try doing some volunteer work as others have mentioned to gain some experience. A+ is a entry level certification and doesn't go as far as others. Another place to look into is in retail such as Fry's Electronics or Best Buy.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PHAsquarePHAsquare Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The following will get you in an entry level position (Help Desk or Desktop Support):
    1) Have a great resume (put together well i.e. federal format)
    2) Scour Craigslist's Tech support section and apply for everything HD, DS or Tech related
    3) Blow the interview out of the water (Take copies of your resume, dress to impress and carry a bucket load of confidence but leave arrogance at home)
    4) Repeat this process as often as possible and drop me a line when it works!

*** - contact me if you need some info on the resume format that WINS!
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    PHAsquare wrote: »
    The following will get you in an entry level position (Help Desk or Desktop Support):
    1) Have a great resume (put together well i.e. federal format)
    2) Scour Craigslist's Tech support section and apply for everything HD, DS or Tech related
    3) Blow the interview out of the water (Take copies of your resume, dress to impress and carry a bucket load of confidence but leave arrogance at home)
    4) Repeat this process as often as possible and drop me a line when it works!

*** - contact me if you need some info on the resume format that WINS!
    i want that info can you share it with me please i was thinking in remake my resume
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should definitely get yourself into college.

The first year (your basics) will be math and English. From what I've read on your posts, you'll benefit greatly from one of those classes.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok this upcoming monday i will be taking the 702 and 701 exams A+. I would like to know where can i start looking for job i live in nyc i have my High school diploma and thats about it. i want to proceed and work on my security+ or network+ or maybe pass both and go take a 2-3 month course and try to get my ccna. But right now I want your guys personal experience views in were should i start looking for work first ? how can i search online for this kind of job what is the keyword i need to put in monster.com, indeed.com, careerbuilder.com.

Remember Guys Dont tell me to go enroll myself in college :) i am not planning on doing it i have been unemployed for almost 2 years now and i have to start looking for a job were i know i could learn more and get atleast paid $10-$15 an hour starting i am to grown already 23 and still suffering in this economy situation. so please give me advice in where to start and ideas in how to look for jobs in person.

Just the A+ and a high school degree hmmmmmmm you’re lucky to get a job at best buy geek squad or at staples as an easy tech. Also, there could be a local computer repair shop that might take you on as an apprentice. The pay for those jobs in between 8-10 bucks an hour at least here in Minnesota.
    I provided links to geek squad and staples easy tech job below:
    Careers - Geek Squad
    I would say go into the national guard or UPS both are always hiring and both pay for school.
    Staples® EasyTechsm PC Experts
    Love computers and helping solve problems? Staples EasyTech is an exciting new in-store tech support service. Join our team of technicians and make technology easy for our customers.
    Staples® Employment
    1. Look for a job any job. Not sure if it’s proven but, I have heard that if you’re employed you have a better chance of getting hired anywhere.
    2. Get your degree..so many IT Pros have college degrees that in my opinion not having one will hurt you in the long run especially in the economy.
    3. I would look into the national guard or UPS both are always hiring and both pay for school.

This is my advice..good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't mean to seem bashful in my last post. I just think you should honestly look into doing an online college class (in a degree program). This will help you a lot, not only will it look good on your resume, but to potential employers looking at you they will see that you commited to 4 years of school.

Lets say you have person A and person B. Person A just has a couple of certifications and Person B has a 4 year degree and a couple of certifications... which looks more appealing?

Like everyone else is saying on here... have you looked into the Military? If I were just getting out of high school and I couldn't afford college, I'd definitely go with this! I was brought up military and I did join the UK Royal Marines, but unfortuntely had to get out of training due to my dad falling ill. I still wish to this day that I was still in the Marines.

I'm still young enough to join the US Marines or any of the forces here (I have a green card to those who were wondering). But since my certifications/college and experience has been building up, I have the means to not join and build a good foundation with my fiance. Plus, if I were to join it would kill her for me to leave for a long period of time. Bless her :)

I think what you should do is definitely take your A+ like you said you were doing, go to your local recruiting office and talk with them. Whether it be national guard, marines, army, air force or navy. Personally I'd either go with Navy (only because my family has been part of the Navy in the England since it started), or Air Force.

I hope this helps you out to get sorted and plan for your future.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with many of those replied. I have been working in helpdesk just over a year. I recently just started my second job in this field. (more money and a closer driver). I plan to start studying again for my A+ soon and then Microsoft certs. But like many of the others had said education is important and especially the people skills. Those I do have. No certs so far but I do have the education. I am in my 40's and just recently got my BA in Information Technology. Stating my age I have to say I wished I had worked on it right after high school.
    "The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
    www.pbtechguy.com