How has been your experience with CBT Nuggets Security+ (Michael Shannon)

steppinthraxsteppinthrax Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got this from a freind. I don't have any other material other then the DVDs. It seems pretty straight forward. Anybody have any info on this, is it good?

Comments

• dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know anything about the CBT Nuggets Security+, but have used similar CBT Nuggets videos such as CCENT/CCNA, not sure if they still use the Paint program to teach or show key point, found this a bit boring. I find the Preplogic very good and engaging and Tom Carpenter very informative and at times funny, plus it comes with Mega guides, and Audio Training which I find useful, the downside is the price, the guy at preplogic give me a small discount $750.00 because I used there trial version (Unlimited Access) for $50.00 for 30 days, the Unlimited Access is very big lots of courses, but again the price is pricey, $199.00 a month for 1 year and 2yrs option with the two year option they give you the vouchers. If your planning to get several certifications in a short period of time, and don't have the time to search for other Training providers and working Full-Time and have the money then I go with Preplogic. Try out there promo Trial version the Unlimited Access and see for yourself if you like it or not. Go with the learning style that fits for you. For the record, I find that LearnKey is similar or identical to Preplogic, but Preplogic is a bit cheaper and comes with more material than LearnKey offers for their training. I always look for Quality training first, then price second, sometimes going cheaper is not always good, you'll eventually spend again on more training material.

I was thinking of Trainsignal but it only comes with the video and Transcender practice test, but no books or guides. but the price is a bit reasonable $297.00 which I think is a promo price, there's also the Testout (labsims) which comes with a lot more? labs, notes, videos, tests practice there price is $495.00. There's also the Career Academy which comes with labs,videos, practice test, notes??, plus online support such as qualified instructors there price is $595.00. Whatever you do just stay away from ExamForce.com? material is not bad, but finding misleading the title states SY0-101, then another page states SY0-201? then later on I received a call from examforce rep trying to sell me more training, which I clearly tell them that I am NOT interested and just bought the preplogic video and happy with preplogic, the examforce rep still trying to convince me about their training, which again told them I am not interested maybe a later date, they were still hounding me, then decided I hang-up on them hopefully they get the message. I will NOT go with ExamForce ever again, same goes with Quickcert.com their training doesn't come close to Preplogic or Trainsignal training. I hope this answers some of your questions regarding video training and try to look what each training provider offers, such as Vouchers,Training materials such as books,notes etc, Videos, practice test, online tutors etc. Might try out the Testout or Career Academy for my MCSDT/MCP.

best of luck with your studies

Dan
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stay away from Shannon's videos unless you want to sleep in less than 10 minutes into a video. I tried his Exchange 2003 videos, simply not what you expect from the Nuggets. I mean look at Conrad and Ciora, wonder how Shannon even got employed by CBT Nuggets. Stay away.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    This test is best taken by studying from a book IMO.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Repo Man wrote: »
    This test is best taken by studying from a book IMO.

+1. This is especially true when there's great book such as Darril's.
  • lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Stay away from Shannon's videos unless you want to sleep in less than 10 minutes into a video. I tried his Exchange 2010 videos, simply not what you expect from the Nuggets. I mean look at Conrad and Ciora, wonder how Shannon even got employed by CBT Nuggets. Stay away.

QFT. the guy that does sec+ is a doozer
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I used them for Sec+ and found them to be valuable when supplemented with a decent book. I agree with the others, he's boring and it took multiple attempts at listening to some of the nuggets to make it all the way through. I'm currently using CBT nuggets for ITIL Foundations and again am struggling to make it through due, in part, to Shannon. If you can get access to them for free I'd recommend them, otherwise go instead with Darril's book or another form of CBT.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • PhoneGuyPhoneGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the Sec+ I used Darril's book along with the CBT Nuggets. I never did watch the videos, but ripped the audio to MP3 and listened to them on my commute to and from work. I don't think Nuggets would be good as a single source, but made a nice secondary source for me, and helped pass the time on my 45 minute commute.
  • ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i tried the cbt nuggets but like others have said they put me to sleep. i could take in information from a book quicker than these, they also seemed to get a little off topic and seemed to be a bit disorganized.
    Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
    BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
    A+, Security+
  • some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Stay away from Shannon's videos unless you want to sleep in less than 10 minutes into a video. I tried his Exchange 2003 videos, simply not what you expect from the Nuggets. I mean look at Conrad and Ciora, wonder how Shannon even got employed by CBT Nuggets. Stay away.
    I agree. He knows what he's teaching well, but his voice and lectures are so boring for me that I couldn't concentrate long enough from dozing off. His Sec+ vids make me drowsy and I can't remember what I learn from them(if I manage to watch one completely). He seems to be a really smart guy imo, but not the teacher type of guy(at least for videos).
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    is he the guy that writes in chicken scratch?? For Network+, I chose Train Signal over Nuggets because of the horrible hand writing..
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually purchased the CompTia pack from Testout. I am getting ready to go through the Security+ and so far I have found the training to be stellar (Network+ and A+). The mix between lecture, walk throughs, study guides, tests, and of course their simulator is great. From reading on here I will also supplement a book along with the material. The nice thing with Testout is if you purchase their product and take their practice exam twice with a 95 percent or above they will reimburse you for the cost of the exam if you fail. They do offer a trial of all of their products so it would be worth while to at least start on the Security+ and see if it would be for you. CBT nuggets is ok, but again, I feel Testout is the complete (most complete?) package.