Options

How do you stay focused and on track when..........

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Is it realistic to focus on certifications when you don't even know what job you are going to get in the next couple of months. I touch so much at my current job I had to create 3 resumes.

I have a networking specific resume, application analyst (SAP Oracle Peoplesoft), and a regular remote helpdesk tier 2 tech one.

I want to stay proactive and continue to grow and I really like certifications, but right now it almost seems impossible to really project what I am going to do or what I will need to do. I have committed to a community college VB course at the moment. I also dabble with T-SQL and read 70-433. Sometimes I do other things for fun, but it seems it is impossible for me to have direction. I'll be honest I am applying for all 3 of those jobs that I listed and really don't know which way I will go. I've listen to guys like Brian Tracy and Tony Robbins and they bring up baseline thinking a lot or baseline goal setting. Which, for those who do not know is a way or reevaluating your goals everyday. Just because yesterday you set a goal doesn't mean you should continue on 3 weeks from now. Especially if a new opportunity comes up or if you have some sort of self awareness.

I'm confused lol

Anyone experiencing this dilemma or have had in the past?

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Very much so right now in my job. But more because there's so much to learn. At this point what I've done is put less focus on certifying in the technologies I'm working or potentially will work with and just familiarizing myself with as many as I can so that when it does come to that point in time, I don't feel like I'm devoid of any knowledge of the subject. I've found that sometimes you have to jack of all trades it.

So my needs are Citrix, App-V, MED-V, Altiris, and several other things that I'm going to have coming up. I can't focus on one because they will all run into each other at some point so I've started working on general overviews of each topic with deeper dives as the priority arrives. This is working well so far for me. It's essentially what you stated about re-evaluating goals. Less focus on certification goals, and more focus on learning the technology. I can certify later or when my work load decreases.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    QHalo wrote: »
    Very much so right now in my job. But more because there's so much to learn. At this point what I've done is put less focus on certifying in the technologies I'm working or potentially will work with and just familiarizing myself with as many as I can so that when it does come to that point in time, I don't feel like I'm devoid of any knowledge of the subject. I've found that sometimes you have to jack of all trades it.

So my needs are Citrix, App-V, MED-V, Altiris, and several other things that I'm going to have coming up. I can't focus on one because they will all run into each other at some point so I've started working on general overviews of each topic with deeper dives as the priority arrives. This is working well so far for me. It's essentially what you stated about re-evaluating goals. Less focus on certification goals, and more focus on learning the technology. I can certify later or when my work load decreases.

Thanks for great response. I kind of been doing that.

One day I am popping in the power user Excel video and banging out pivot tables and reports and then I go to Access. Sometimes I am pulling up SQL 2008 and running queries and running reports and building tables. Just to try to keep fresh. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Maybe this will give you clarity (well two things, really). If you had to go get a new job tomorrow, what do you see listed in the newspaper, craigslist, your state and local federal job listings, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, and dice.com? You can try to tailor your skills for what employers are seeking.

The second consideration is what would you be doing in I.T. if financial struggle or instability were removed as possibilities in the future for you.

Maybe a good answer exists between those two questions :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    right now it almost seems impossible to really project what I am going to do or what I will need to do.
    Of your 3 resumes, which one would be your dream job? Or get you closer to your dream job?

If you're looking for a new job, is there a certification that you can achieve in a reasonable time that would help you get the job you want?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I feel more productive when I concentrate on one subject at a time. Of course, if I need to learn something for a task today I'll get on google and learn it. But when I'm sitting at my computer at 5 a.m. watching CBT's, I work on one area at a time.

<---- I've gained all the certs over there except my A+ since joining this forum, so that definitely works better for me.

As far as what to study, I choose whatever I think will make me more employable. I started with my CCNA because I had a head start on that one and it would add some oomph to my resume. I'm studying M$ stuff now to fill in the gaps in my knowledge and eliminate a few weak areas. I don't know for sure whether I want to spend the rest of my career on switches or servers, so for now I'm learning/certifying in both. That's ok, though, because it's a nice combination to have.

I just know it's hard to reach a deep level on any topic when you split yourself in too many directions. I always figured a CCNA and MCSE can only help in whatever area I choose to specialize in.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I plan on getting the certs in my WGU program, but other than that, I am going to only focus on certs related to my current job
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark