ISDN protocol knowledge???

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
I have again come to a point where one of my study resources presents the need to know about a topic when all others do not. One book I am reading says an indepth knowledge of ISDN E, I and Q series protocols is neccesary for the ICND, and the book doesnt even cover the material! Also, none of my other materials cover the topic, and I cant find any coverage of the material from Cisco either.

Can anyone make a comment on how much knowledge of ISDN E, I and Q series protocols is necessary for the ICND, and possibly point me to a resource that will give me a general indication as to how much one should know on the material? Thanks!

Comments

• sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    Noods wrote:
    I have again come to a point where one of my study resources presents the need to know about a topic when all others do not. One book I am reading says an indepth knowledge of ISDN E, I and Q series protocols is neccesary for the ICND, and the book doesnt even cover the material! Also, none of my other materials cover the topic, and I cant find any coverage of the material from Cisco either.

Can anyone make a comment on how much knowledge of ISDN E, I and Q series protocols is necessary for the ICND, and possibly point me to a resource that will give me a general indication as to how much one should know on the material? Thanks!

To be honest i have never seen ISDN I , E etc in any of the practice tests that i have given for ICND. Coz i too am taking 2 exam approach i have never seen this topic it in any book which is just for ICND. Although if you want to know about it Todd Lammle's book( Ed 4, pg 507) is a good source :)
    :santa:
  • NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Glad Im not the only one, thanks! :P
  • medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISDN in included on the test. I thought Todd Lammle's book covered just about everything you need to know to pass the test.

That's all I have to say about that.
  • dshevnockdshevnock Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I remember coming across ISDN E, I and Q series in some research a while ago. The only things those are really used for is logically grouping the different concepts of ISDN information. For example:

- ISDN E series deals with the telephone network and and ISDN in regards to telephone numbering and ISDN addressing.

- ISDN I series deals with more concepts, terminology, network interfaces, etc.

- ISDN Q series deals with the switching and signaling such as LPAD.

Like I said, it just kind of takes ISDN and splits it up into logical bundles for clarification just the the OSI Model. I wouldn't worry about knowing the ins and outs of it for testing purposes.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think ISDN was more prominent on previous CCNA exam versions, but the ISDN TechNotes I originally wrote for the 640-607 exam should be enough for the current CCNA exam:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/isdn.shtml