Can someone recommend a good best practices network design book?

mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'd like a CCIE level book that explains large scale network design. 15 routers+ type of thing

The book should assume you know advanced EIGRP, OSPF and BGP and not go in to much detail about how the protocols work.

I want to learn stuff like IP addressing design, where best to summarise routes, where to implement different OSPF areas and area types, and why they should be used, examples of good and bad designs and so on.

Best practices is what I'm looking for basically!

Something for switching would be good too.

Thanks!

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'd like a CCIE level book that explains large scale network design. 15 routers+ type of thing

The book should assume you know advanced EIGRP, OSPF and BGP and not go in to much detail about how the protocols work.

I want to learn stuff like IP addressing design, where best to summarise routes, where to implement different OSPF areas and area types, and why they should be used, examples of good and bad designs and so on.

Thanks!

What are you looking to design. A campus network, a branch office, service provider network, or enterpise wan, they have have different requirements.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Thanks!

Not really. There are some architecture books for MPLS and one out for MPLS design. The CCDP track has some books as well. Learning really good network design is very difficult from books. It's mostly learned in the field. Learning to configure things though isn't so bad from books! The SRND has examples but you need to factor your infrastructure realities into that.
  • mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once I've got my CCIE I'll write one on campus network and enterprise WAN design
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    How about Top-Down Network Design by Ms. Priscilla Oppenheimer?
  • mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Ryan I'll take a look. I knew there'd be at least *something* worth reading. Priscilla Oppenheimer ay? Sounds exotic!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks Ryan I'll take a look. I knew there'd be at least *something* worth reading. Priscilla Oppenheimer ay? Sounds exotic!

It's a bit dated but anything by Priscilla is worth a look!
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    The 3rd edition was released back in September 2010 so make sure you grab that one.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can start here: Design Zone/SRND - Main Page - Cisco Systems

Or you can browse all the available designs: Cisco Validated Designs [Cisco Validated Design Program] - Cisco Systems

Enterprise Campus Design and Data Center Infrastructure Design are two good places to start.

The Enterprise Network Virtualization design guides are probably worth a glance since it seems to be the hottest topic of discussion next to being green.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Well, you've done your BSCI which covers all the things you are looking for, you won't find it in the book. It comes with experience, books can cover those topics up to a certaint point and then you are sort of left on your own to gather this information yourself. Routing TCP IP volume 1 is a good starting point though.:)