DoD 8570.01 CE

So, I work for DoD as a contractor and I was recently told that the administrator rights of many employees have been temporarily suspended due to not having CE certifications. I am not one of them, but I don't understand why they were taken away.

My understanding was that DoD employees had until 12/31/11 to switch to CE? Our HQ is now saying that effective 1/1/11 that everyone needed CE. The part I don't fully understand is that they said people needed OS certification CE, such as MCP/MCDST/MCTS, etc.

Anyone familiar with 8570.01, ATCTS, DMDC, etc? My A+ is listed as CE for some reason in ATCTS, yet I didn't even switch over to CE at that time (I switched today). Also, I didn't even see an option for CE Network+ or Security+ in ATCTS.

Also in ATCTS, it has an option to put in your CPE's. I am assuming I can put 50 in for my recent Security+ (received within 90 days of upgrading to CE), but it has a spot for hours as well as CPE's. Would I put 50 hours and 50 CPE's? Both fields are mandatory.

In DMDC, it showed my certification being valid until 12/31/11, which I understood as I needed to switch to CE, but after the switch to CE (today) it shows the new certifications as still being valid to 12/31/11. I assumed they should be 1/14/14, which is what CompTIA shows... They didn't say CE next to them so perhaps it just needs to update.

Also, do my maintenance fees automatically get paid? I'm a DoD contractor so I wasn't quite clear on how that works.

Thanks!!
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My understanding was that DoD employees had until 12/31/11 to switch to CE?
    I believe the deadline was 31 December 2010. Do you not have a manager that keeps you informed of all mandatory training?
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I believe the deadline was 31 December 2010. Do you not have a manager that keeps you informed of all mandatory training?

The only thing we were told was that we were required to obtain a certification that satisfied IATII NLT December 31, 2010, and they pushed Security+ but some had the option to take SSCP if they had training for it.

Nothing was mentioned about CE, nor the Operating System certification. Apparently this just came down from 93rd Signal, so our managers had no idea about this.

CompTIA states the following, which leads to my confusion:
    I work for the DoD and hold a CompTIA certification as part of DoD 8570. How does this policy change affect me?

Beginning January 1, 2011, DoD will require every CompTIA certified IA workforce member to obtain a CompTIA CE credential. There will be a 1-year transition period to allow members to enroll in the CompTIA CE program. As of January 1, 2012, DoD will only recognize CompTIA CE (or CE enrolled) certifications as approved DoD 8570 IA baseline certifications. DoD members currently holding a non-CE version of a CompTIA certification (i.e. certification earned on or before 12/31/10) must enroll themselves in the CE program by December 31, 2011. After the CE enrollment window ends, the only way to enroll in the CE program will be to take and pass a CE version of the exam. DoD personnel who take a CompTIA exam after January 1, 2011 will automatically be enrolled in the CE program. DoD individuals who have not previously registered their CompTIA certification in the Defense Workforce Certification Application (DCWA) must do so through this link: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dwc/index.jsp. For those who have previously registered their CompTIA certification(s) in the DWCA, your enrollment in the CE program will automatically be tracked and updated within the application. In order for military or DoD civilian members to have their annual fees paid for by DoD, your CE certification must be registered within the DWCA.
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

It looks like you need to enroll in the CompTIA Continuing Education (CE) program by 12/31/2012 if you received your Security+ cert before 1/1/2011. People who get their Security + (or A+ or Network+) starting in 2011 are automatically enrolled in the CE program.

The CE FAQ doesn't seem to indicate exactly how to enroll in the CE program, but you can email CompTIA about that detail.

CompTIA Certification Renewal
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It looks like you need to enroll in the CompTIA Continuing Education (CE) program by 12/31/2012 if you received your Security+ cert before 1/1/2011. People who get their Security + (or A+ or Network+) starting in 2011 are automatically enrolled in the CE program.

The CE FAQ doesn't seem to indicate exactly how to enroll in the CE program, but you can email CompTIA about that detail.

CompTIA Certification Renewal

That was my original thought as well. Not sure why 93rd signal is saying people at our NEC aren't in regulation.

I enrolled in CE by going to certmetrics.com/comptia:

"Welcome to the CompTIA Continuing Education (CE) Program. This program has been designed to provide a variety of relevant and cost effective methods for keeping your CompTIA certification(s) current."

Those certified on or before 12/31/10 must complete the following steps before submitting continuing education units.
    1. Enroll in the CE Program
    2. Sign the CompTIA Candidate Code of Ethics Policy
    3. Pay CE Maintenance Fees (see DoD exception below)
    Hopefully I don't have to pay the CE Maintenance Fees. Still not clear if I, DoD, or my contracting employer pick up the tab.

• cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    I thought CWNA is under DOD?
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought CWNA is under DOD?

It is under the Army.
    The Army BBP 09-EC-M-0010 "Wireless Security Standards" v3 dated: 2 Jan 09
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For 8570.1 not right now and not likely in the future but many billets (positions) require it or equivalent experience.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    thanks guys for the clarification.
    Except for chatter on the forum, there's no mention of "ISO 17024" or "8570" over at CWNP.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the joy of working in DoD IA! Glad I pushed for the CompTIA certs last year!
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
    Lamini wrote: »
    the joy of working in DoD IA! Glad I pushed for the CompTIA certs last year!
    Well, you still need to join the CompTIA CE program and collect the CEUs. That's a big difference from the way it use to be.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    On a side note at one point the unit I was in was right across Barton Field from 93rd on Ft. Gordon. Pretty squared away troopers.

Sorry, I dont know about the directive since it has changed since I was in. I do have a buddy in the Air National Guard and he had to go back to training and get his S+ due to the new changes. He has A+ and S+ I think now to be in compliance. Maybe N+ too?
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No if he or she has Security+ already then they are enrolled in the Continuing Education program. If they renew the Security+ it renews all lower level certifications. There are a number of options on CompTIA's website.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • oceandographeroceandographer Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a question. If a person has the Security+ cert that is good for life and has enrolled in the CompTIA CE program, are they 8570 compliant until the day they need to submit all of their CE credits?

e.g. Mr. E has a Sec+ from 2007, enrolled in the CE program in early Dec. 2012, and now the deadline to submit all 50 CE credits is Dec. 2015. Is Mr. E in 8570 compliance until the Dec. 2015 deadline?

Thanks in advance for help on this matter. I'm struggling like crazy to figure this out. I'm working on several other certs that will immediately update all my CompTIA certs, but I need to know how I fair until then.
    When you enroll in the CE program your certs are tranferred over and you are no longer a lifetime A+/N+/Sec+ cert holder. The same is true if you get a new CompTIA cert. You do not need to re-test. Just start collecting educational credits and pay CompTIA it's annual fee.
    I have to disagree a little on that. If you have a "good for life" cert, it always remains. This is evident from this passage from CompTIA's website, "Participation in the CE program does not affect a candidate’s “certified for life” status, the good for life certification will always remain in effect, regardless of CE program participation"
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program

The Department of Defense's 8570 policy and whether a CE participant meets the criteria of that policy is what I'm trying to decipher.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The requirement is for continuing education in the DoD IT/IA work force. The "new" A+, Net+, Sec+ and CASP demonstrate this since they require the person to either take continuing education or retake the test (which will be updated during the three years) to ensure their skills knowledge are progressing/not staying stagnant.

i have both the good for life Net+, A+ and Sec+ but also the continuing education ones. To meet the DoD requirements, I have to retake the exams or submit CE like the CISSP/CEH/ETC.

To be honest, I've only seen 8570 really enforced in the contractor and civilian/federal employee realm. It's so hit and miss in the military. Most of the military IT personnel at my unit don't even have Net+, lol.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    oceandographer is correct, If you have a lifetime cert, it remains lifetime, If you obtain a new CE cert, get new certs all under CE. So when I took Security+ CE this year, They automatically gave me A+/N+/S+ CE, and sent new certificates, but I do retain the lifetime cert, its verified in the comptia system, and they confirmed it verbally.
  • coolchoccoolchoc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another wrinkle. I almost had to go through the re-certification process because my certs weren't uploaded correctly. After about 3 weeks of back and forth - CompTIA decided to tell me that my name needs to be adjusted in the DMDC system. I was listed as John H Smith (not my real name) but all of my certs had John Henry Smith. So I needed to change the DMDC system to 'John Henry, no middle initial, Smith' to allow for my certs to be released. Hopefully this will help some others out there.
    Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful. I learned recently from dmdc and comptia that as long as the person has enrolled in the CE program before the deadline (31DEC2012) and has at some point in time released those certs to dmdc, they are in 8570 compliance. It shows in your certs status in dmdc as valid, the moment they are made aware from comptia that you met the CE deadline.

Next up, Storage+, CEH, and CASP. That ought to turn some more of my hair grey lol. As long as it doesn't fall out :D