can't install additional domain controller

DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a problem, I have loaded Oracle VM VirtualBox on my PC. I have two servers loaded (Server2003/ Ent edition/ service pack 1). I have Active Directory and a DNS on server1. I can ping each server and it shows their IP's. But when I try to load a domain controller on server2 (2nd DC on the first domain) I get an error. It says "the AD install wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing windows server 2003. Use the ADPREP command line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain". "The version of the active directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer"
I have changed my forest to 2003 and my DC's to 2003 (because they are Windows 2000 Native) but no go. I cannot run ADPREP using the command line, it does not recognize it.

I am losticon_sad.gif I was excited to start labbin but I hit a road block. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Comments

• Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Have you applied the R2 update anywhere? If so - you have to update the schema on your 'older' DCs.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    Have you applied the R2 update anywhere? If so - you have to update the schema on your 'older' DCs.

I have used the first CD that comes with my Microsoft Press Release book to load the Server 2003 on both virtual machines. Are you talking about the second CD (R2)? I have not pulled that second CD out yet.

I just loaded the OS and started to hit the first couple labs.