Options

Passed

ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ with a score of 869 today.

kind of disappointed though, i did the bulk of my studying before Christmas then got sick with the winter cold mess and then could not find a open date nearby until after new year. i studied part of the day yesterday and on the way to the testing center this morning.i think if i had been able to take the test right after i did the bulk of my prep work i would have done better.

all i used was Darrill Gibson's book. it is a incredible value i got it for 10 bucks for the kindle and read and kept notes and highlights on it with my ipad through the kindle app.

only problem i ran into was there were some serious half baked questions that screamed beta but at the same time i was worried it was something i missed. that really rattled me a bit.

to make my anxiety worse they made me do a survey before i got my score and then gave me the hourglass for about 45 seconds after i finished the survey. i seriously think they were doing it on purpose to see how high they could get my pulse.
Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
A+, Security+

Comments

• Options
    Xishan anwarXishan anwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ericcumbee wrote: »
    Passed Security+ with a score of 869 today.

kind of disappointed though, i did the bulk of my studying before Christmas then got sick with the winter cold mess and then could not find a open date nearby until after new year. i studied part of the day yesterday and on the way to the testing center this morning.i think if i had been able to take the test right after i did the bulk of my prep work i would have done better.

all i used was Darrill Gibson's book. it is a incredible value i got it for 10 bucks for the kindle and read and kept notes and highlights on it with my ipad through the kindle app.

only problem i ran into was there were some serious half baked questions that screamed beta but at the same time i was worried it was something i missed. that really rattled me a bit.

to make my anxiety worse they made me do a survey before i got my score and then gave me the hourglass for about 45 seconds after i finished the survey. i seriously think they were doing it on purpose to see how high they could get my pulse.

congrats!
    wish you a bright career
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Here's a tip....next time don't use a Vue voucher...seems that Vue makes you take the survey first then you know if you passed or not. Prometric doesn't. :)

Oh and great score! Congratulations. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    ronkakaplanronkakaplan Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need help with this test can someone call me or i can call them

978 532 7699 ron
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Here's a tip....next time don't use a Vue voucher...seems that Vue makes you take the survey first then you know if you passed or not. Prometric doesn't. :)

Oh and great score! Congratulations. icon_thumright.gif

i prefer prometric but it was a matter of i was ready to get it over with, and the closest prometric testing center is not taking test appointments right now for some reason. so it was yesterday with vue, or make a separate trip farther away to take it with prometric.
    A+, Security+
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i prefer prometric but it was a matter of i was ready to get it over with, and the closest prometric testing center is not taking test appointments right now for some reason. so it was yesterday with vue, or make a separate trip farther away to take it with prometric.

Well, remember that what you wrote above is/was more of a priority than what you wrote at the bottom the next time you test at a Vue center. That should calm your anxiety a bit. icon_razz.gif

Once again, congratulations. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    very nice score, congrats!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    i am bidding farewell to Comptia land and heading for microsoft MCITP:EA so those will all be prometric tests. found out today that the nearest prometric testing center is closing and one of the next closest testing centers just happens to be in my old college stomping ground, which sounds good to me.

that was actually my first test with vue, my 3 previous exams were all with Prometric so i had some level of comfort with prometric.
    A+, Security+
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I have been reading that you should read Darrill Gibson's book but; I have CBT Nuggets and Mike Meyers Passport 2nd ed.... Do I really need to get Darrill Gibson's book and I will pass with a 800 plus with his material or not; a little confused??? Please help scheduled for next week.
  • Options
    TNT143TNT143 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I have been reading that you should read Darrill Gibson's book but; I have CBT Nuggets and Mike Meyers Passport 2nd ed.... Do I really need to get Darrill Gibson's book and I will pass with a 800 plus with his material or not; a little confused??? Please help scheduled for next week.

DG's book for the 201 exam says if you take the time to study and fully understand the objectives you should pass with an 800 or higher; however, its all in what YOU put into studying. DG's book made it REALLY easy for me to understand the 'techy' parts that I hadn't had any experience with since High School. He also pulls out really important information into 'bubbles' with clear explanations.

His practice tests are really thorough and they provide very details explanations about the right AND wrong answers. He just doesn't give you the answer and move on, he explains WHY the wrong one is wrong to help you understand more.

I've got my exam in a few hours, but with DG's book I'm confident I will pass.
    WIP
    Project+
    MS: Info. Sys Mgt/Info Security

:thumbup: Achieved
    Security+
    ITIL Foundations v3
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Statistics show that 11 of every 10 TechExams.net users recommend Darill's Security+ book. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Bellman80Bellman80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm reading Mike Meyers Passport right now and I'm not impressed, at all. The book would serve as an introductory course to Security, at best. And it's not even written by Mike Meyers. The author gets very very repetitive. He says something, then rephrases it and puts it in the next paragraph and it's going on for pages like that... I really don't need to be told 30 times the importance of keeping your software updated.

Luckily, I have a hard copy of Darril's book waiting for me once I'm done with Passport. And I also got a hard copy of David L. Prowse's new book on Security+. It just came out in November (I think) and it looks really really solid.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+ SYO-201 Cert Guide (9780789747136): David L. Prowse: Books

It has plenty of examples, practice questions, links to web resources, DVD with a complete practice exam. I liked his book on A+ too. I don't know, guys, we might have a new winner. I'll review it once I read both Darril's and David L. Prowse'.