Options

Leads and Grounds

Angie629Angie629 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm reading on power supply connector, and here is the excerpt:
"One was a 6-pin auxiliary connector similar to the P8/P9 AT connectors that supplied additional +3.3V and +5V leads and their grounds. The other was a 4-pin square mini version of the ATX connector, referred to as a P4 connector, that supplied two +12V leads and their grounds. EPS12V uses an 8-pin version, called the processor power connector, that doubles the P4’s function with four +12V leads and four grounds."

And in this section, there are also a lot other reference of leads and grounds when talking about power supply connectors. But I don't understand what exactly is being referred to when the author say leads and grounds? Can someone help?

Thanks,
Regards,
Angela

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Please provide the source for your quote.

A couple things, one with the source, we can seek out the full article to better understand your quesiton. Two, I think you may be going too deep into this, but it is a likely a valid quesiton. Third, in your short comment, you jumped generations of Power Supplies (PS) AT-ATX-ATX12v/EPS12v etc...

and this may be a good time to find a second and even third source for your background.

such as (although wiki isn't a great source, frequently it can act like a 'cliff note' on a subject to permit one to further their fact gathering).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

HowStuffWorks "How Electronic Gates Work"

Not for you to do, but to read and see from a different perspective:
    How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply - wikiHow

Provide your source, it will help us help you.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I'm reading CompTIA A+ Complete study guide (2007), and if you have it, it's on page 122 and 123, at least ten occurrence of leads and grounds. And yes, it's related to ATX, ATX12V, and EPS12V power connectors.

Regards,
    Angela
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Angie629 wrote: »
    I'm reading CompTIA A+ Complete study guide (2007), and if you have it, it's on page 122 and 123, at least ten occurrence of leads and grounds. And yes, it's related to ATX, ATX12V, and EPS12V power connectors.

Regards,
    Angela

So, I'm going to guess you have the Sybex text? You haven't specified, but the Sybex and Meyers All-in-One are the two best texts for the A+ and the most common ones folks obtain.

I have the Deluxe Edition to the one you are referencing, but the material is the same (expect the page numbers differ).

In a simple answer:
    The 'leads' are the hot wires where your current travels to power the component it is plugged into.
    'Ground' is the netural wire

This information is important to know BEFORE you plug components together...though it is difficult to mess it up due to the shape of the adapters. Nevertheless, before connecting the PSU to commonents, it is your responsiblity to ensure they rated for that component.

Did you happen to review the links I provided to you previously?

The book you have, does it contain the CD or DVD? If so, you may find some of the videos on it helpful.

I'll provide you a couple more links, however, if you don't review them I'm not sure how to assist you as your questions are not new ones, and there are pleny of sources covering this material. Now you have entered the certification world (I trust this is your first exam you are preparing for) then you will find you need to research items from a few different sources because:

1. sometimes the 1st source is incorrect
    2. sometimes the 1st source is incomplete
    3. sometimes reading the material a 2nd and 3rd or 10th time form another voice is easier to understand, particularly when seeing something new.

YouTube - 2002 PC power supply connectors explained
    YouTube - How to install a Power Supply

The "power supply FAQ" - jonnyGURU Forums
    XSReviews.co.uk - Trusted Hardware Reviews - Glossary - Multiple power supply rails explained

If you want to dive into how electricty works and AC and DC power, you may find that helpful. However, you'll likely notice the text doesn't cover that much detail and it might just be that it isn't necessary for the exam.

Get your hands on the actual products and use them. Experience is the best teacher.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, I have visited the links you provided. Very helpful.

Regards,
    Angela