Options

Network + exam

MKRS2318MKRS2318 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there, i'm new to the forum. I've passed my A+ and i've got my Network+ exam on the 11th August 05. I'm stuck on quite a few things and finding it hard to memorise various parts.
If i pass my network+, what is the best step to take after this? I'm thinking of doing my MCSE and CCNA? Also, is there much demand for network+ certified technicians?
At the minute i'm just advertising and doing PC repairs but after my Network+ i wanted to get a job with a company and do other qualifications at the same time, i need some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Welcome to the boards! I don't think many people would hire you based on Net+, as it is an entry-level cert. However, the knowledge gained in passing makes other exams, and the basic concepts easier to grasp. As far as where to go after, it depends on what you wanted to do. MCSE would be more systems admin, while CCNA is geared towards networking admin. I would recco looking at MCSA. You can use the A+/N+ combo as an elective for MCSA, leaving only 3 exams to complete the cert. Also, to help with your Net+ studies, I highly recco the Technotes available from this site. They are thorough, and well written, and many people have used them exclusively to pass Net+. While Net+ has been upgraded, the Technotes have not, but the differences aren't too hig. Regardless, you need to know what's contained in them anyway. Just be sure to take a look at something current to be complete with the objectives. I used Mike Myers books, and would recco them.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi and welcome to the forums.
    MKRS2318 wrote:
    Also, is there much demand for network+ certified technicians?
    Not really. Network+ covers mainly concepts and theory and is good as a basis for further studies, but I wouldn't expect to get a job based on a net+ cert.
    If i pass my network+, what is the best step to take after this? I'm thinking of doing my MCSE and CCNA? Also, is there much demand for network+ certified technicians?
    That depends mostly on what you want to do. Those are two different certs for different skills/jobs (net admin vs sys admin). If you don't plan to continue with other Cisco certs after the CCNA (ie. CCNP) you may be better of starting with the MCSA/MCSE which together with a A+/Net+ probably make you a tad more marketable than A+, Net+, CCNA. Another factor to consider is the demand of certain certs (skills, knowledge) in your area.
  • Options
    MKRS2318MKRS2318 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thankyou for he replies. I must say that i enjoy networking the best, i found the A+ quite boring, however i am enjoying the network+ a lot more. Before i started my A+ and Network+, i was going to pay and do them in a 2 week intense course which cost nearly £5,000, i really don't know how you could fit both of these courses into two weeks???? There is an IT training ompany based near me who are doing an intensive MCSA course and it only takes a week or two, what do you think on the subject of these intensive training courses?

Thanks
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    If you enjoyed the network+ course, maybe you should try the security+ or just go for the CCNA.

I'm holding back on MCSA/MCSE since longhorn should be released in probably 2 years? I'm just too lazy to go recertify again after that.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I wouldnt go for intence 2 weeks courses and you tend to forget what you learn really quick, rather than taking your time and let it all sink in and get a good understanding of it. but thats my view, i have contemplated it a few times as i dont have much free time as it is to study icon_sad.gif
    I'm holding back on MCSA/MCSE since longhorn should be released in probably 2 years? I'm just too lazy to go recertify again after that.

Got to think that companies are still going to be using Win2k,XP pro and Win2k3 for another few more years before migrating to longhorn, look at 2000, even microsoft have said its still going strong.