Can We Get a CIW Cert Section?

shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I noticed we don't have a forum section for any CIW certifications. I think it would be great if we had one, i'm interested in the CIW Web Site Designer cert, but not seeing any info on this site about it.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular cert?

Certified Internet Web Professional | Standards for Success
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the General Certification forum will suffice for now. If enough interest and topics on the certifications come up I'm sure Webmaster would consider adding another sub forum specifically for CIW.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    seems with all the WGU students on here it would make sense
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out MCMCSE.com if you really need extra help with the CIW exams. It's not popular enough to get it's own section. The books that come with CIW classes at WGU are usually more than sufficient.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out MCMCSE.com if you really need extra help for the CIW exams. It's just not popular enough to need it's own sections. The books that come with CIW classes at WGU are usually more than sufficient.

Yeah, really...

CIW just isn't primetime enough to warrant a sub section. For proof, do a search on CIW on the major job boards...you're not going to find CIW to be in demand enough to warrant it being that "gotta have" certification.

The only reason they're talked about at all here is because of WGU students.

As veritas has mentioned, mcmcse.com is a good place if you really need a place with it's own CIW sub forums.

For crying out loud, all the Associates exam is is A+, Network+ Security+ with Project+ sprinkled....if you have at least the first three, plus a bit of html prepping, you'll pass the exam. Not much more discussion is warranted.

I'll say this though, their guides are very good to prep for the Associates v5 exam and Javascript.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    CIW just isn't primetime enough to warrant a sub section. For proof, do a search on CIW on the major job boards...you're not going to find CIW to be in demand enough to warrant it being that "gotta have" certification.

Sorry, I'm going to be contrarian here.

If you flip through the General Certifications pages, you'll probably see at least one thread on CIW certifications on each page. If we have forums for Oracle and Sun certs that don't get much traffic, I daresay that CIW might deserve at least its own forum. I don't know that anyone should go to the trouble of making sub-forums like the Microsoft or CompTIA ones yet, but who knows. . .

And blame WGU, but I think the CIW program is (finally) picking up steam because of them. Don't be surprised if you hear more about CIW in the future.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »

If you flip through the General Certifications pages, you'll probably see at least one thread on CIW certifications on each page. If we have forums for Oracle and Sun certs that don't get much traffic, I daresay that CIW might deserve at least its own forum. I don't know that anyone should go to the trouble of making sub-forums like the Microsoft or CompTIA ones yet, but who knows. . .

And blame WGU, but I think the CIW program is (finally) picking up steam because of them. Don't be surprised if you hear more about CIW in the future.

I don't mind you being contrarian. I enjoy a good, civil debate. :)

Out of all the CIW threads I've, personally, seen, there was only one that I remember that involved a gentleman who needed a cert for his DoD 8570 (if I remember correctly; I know it was Military) and the CIW Associates v5 fit the bill. Anything else that had a CIW mentioned on TE was because of WGU students like us. It is still emergency TP, as far I'm concerned.

Oracle and Sun, while they might not be popular on the certification end, are VERY primetime in IT development/database/system admin jobs for RAC/Grid computing. Oracle and Sun skills have and will always be in demand. The only reason I even care about Oracle in the slightest is because they bought out PeopleSoft when I was just starting my career in ERPs. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother with Oracle, personally. But if you want to see a tech salary in the low six figures....both Oracle and Sun are good avenues to pursue....(though, in my case, as I'd imagine many others...they are NOT the only avenues to six figures... :D ).

In short, I stand by my argument...CIW is only relevant because we (WGU students) have to take them, but outside of WGU....those certs are useless.

CompTIA certifications, at least, are much more relevant in the IT field.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »

I totally agree that there isn't much traffic to warrant a topic forum. But there isn't much on the net for CIW, and why not make Techexams.net the first to add it to the net as a source of info for CIW certs? Never hurts to give it a go, worst case you they it down after not enough usage. I just passed the CIW what ever cert, and it wasn't a walk in the park. Given the fact I studied a grand total of 2 hole weeks for it. But it was a starter cert, kind of like CompTIA's A+ with a little Network+ added in. Not to hard that one would need years in IT to pass. I will say it does require basic, really basic knowledge of networking, Web, and HTML. I am setting up for the next two CIW certs, Web something and Java something. It's part of WGU curriculum in order for me to finish up my Computer BS. I will say that the resources at WGU are great. I did most of my Certs before without WGU, and spent to much time trying to get all the info to pass the previous Certs. If all goes well, I may look at a Masters Degree from WGU.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
This discussion has been closed.