Options

Need Certification Advice

BascotieBascotie Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just a little background on me first.. I've been working in IT for over 3 years but still haven't gotten my hands as dirty as I'd like to. I'd say I'm very good at general troubleshooting and repair and I like networking but didn't get to deal with servers as much as I would have liked to as an intern.

I am starting a new job which is more of a support job for the employees but am already thinking about my future in IT.

Currently, I am training for the CCNA. I'm about half way through Todd Lammle's book but feel like I still need something else.. something more "Windows" related.

What is the best certification/training/whatever to prepare myself for becoming an IT Administrator managing Windows Machines/ RAID arrays/ Switches/ Routers and so on?

Also, if anyone suggests another path I should take, please feel free to give your input. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Experience first.

If you go router and switches then and you are learning CCNA then follow this steps:

1. CCNA
    2. CCNP
    3. CCIP
    4. CCIE

If its windows:
    MCITP: Enterprise admin
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are looking more on the systems side of things and are starting a job dealing with desktop support, you might start with the 680 or 685 exams, depending on how much Win7 experience you have.
    If you are more interested in learning about router and switches, then stick with the CCNA training.
    It's a wide open field in IT, but reading your post, it sounds like you are more interested in working the desktop support /systems administrator side of things.
  • Options
    ^ that.

Usually Windows Admin are different from a Network Admin/engineer.
    You're comparing AD/server VS network operations.

Study what you're interested in or whatever your job let you play around with.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for more of a Windows Administration certification since I've dealt with Windows for the longest time.

What got me into CCNA was taking some classes with a professor who did more networking side work and taught us how to use GNS3 to make a model of switches/routers.

Maybe I'll finish up the CCNA and get a Windows Admin cert as well??
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA would be a great move. We just had a lower level deskside support guy just get his CCNA and he hit the recruitering scene and job boards. Within 2 weeks he had a job offer making quiet a bit more.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    CCNA would be a great move. We just had a lower level deskside support guy just get his CCNA and he hit the recruitering scene and job boards. Within 2 weeks he had a job offer making quiet a bit more.

I think you're right. I would definitely think that a network professional has the capability to make more than simply a windows professional. Though I would think there are more "general windows guy" jobs out there.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    As mentioned already.. For windows look toward the MCITP:SA or EA (later on). Probably easier starting with the client OS stuff first.

For Server hardware I would look through some CompTIA Server+ material (it's mainly hardware).. Not be worth taking the cert test unless you get some type of re-inbursement since it is a bit expensive.

Router/Switches CCNA is entry level for that as long as you are working with Cisco equipment.
    Experience first.

If you go router and switches then and you are learning CCNA then follow this steps:

1. CCNA
    2. CCNP
    3. CCIP
    4. CCIE

If its windows:
    MCITP: Enterprise admin

I hate to hijack the thread, but why do you mention CCIP (compared to CCDP or CCSP), I have been under the impression that mainly required from ISP type business?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    As mentioned already.. For windows look toward the MCITP:SA or EA (later on). Probably easier starting with the client OS stuff first.

For Server hardware I would look through some CompTIA Server+ material (it's mainly hardware).. Not be worth taking the cert test unless you get some type of re-inbursement since it is a bit expensive.

Router/Switches CCNA is entry level for that as long as you are working with Cisco equipment.

I hate to hijack the thread, but why do you mention CCIP (compared to CCDP or CCSP), I have been under the impression that mainly required from ISP type business?

you might as well take CCIP since it goes in depth on BGP, QOS and MPLS which you will need on CCIE