Need to build a small Procurve switch lab...Help

I moved to a new job that used HP Procurve switches exclusively. Hundreds, maybe over 1000 of them.

I would love to build a home lab but newer switches regardless of make are fairly expensive.

I see that there is a wide array of managed lower end procurve switches on ebay. I would like to buy 3 switches with the end result of learning ccna level switching. I use the CLI everyday at work but we do not have a lab I can learn with or trunk through a larger environment etc...

I see alot of 2524's for less than 50 bucks
HP Procurve 2524 Switch J4813A 80099 (1517582) - eBay (item 290512980177 end time Feb-13-11 13:29:32 PST)

HP PROCURVE 2524 J4813A 24-PORT NETWORK SWITCH!!! - eBay (item 290522359731 end time Jan-19-11 10:05:41 PST)

Would these switches be somewhat ok, is the CLI similar to a 2650 procurve?

I dont want to drop a grand on just a couple switches to get used to "Tag xxx" and "untag xxx"

Comments

• PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Well after researching it appears that the 2514 and 2524 are close enough int the CLI to train and lab with when working with 2600 and up in production.

2514/2524 manual
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2500-MgmtConfig-Oct2005-59692354.pdf

2600 manual
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2600-2800-4100-6108-MgmtConfig-Oct2005-59906023.pdf
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I deal with pro-curve switches as well on a daily basis, they are very similar to the cisco switches, you just have to get used to the idea of tagged and untagged verses access and trunked ports. Basically all the non cisco proprietary protocols you need to freshen up on as well. Its not that big of a deal, i am just not to fond of the pro-curve STP and security features, but hey lifetime warranty!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    I deal with pro-curve switches as well on a daily basis, they are very similar to the cisco switches, you just have to get used to the idea of tagged and untagged verses access and trunked ports. Basically all the non cisco proprietary protocols you need to freshen up on as well. Its not that big of a deal, i am just not to fond of the pro-curve STP and security features, but hey lifetime warranty!

yeah I dont need any help navigating or configuring stuff but I would like to get some added to my home lab so I can integrate its HPness (funnier if you say it out aloud) into my brain.

The tagged/untagged kills me lol Do you know if the 2512/2524 series use a somewhat modern CLI as compared to a 2600. I don't need to learn private vlans, advanced STP stuff or ether channel, I got a cisco lab for that but I woudl like to master the basics in HP terminology.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    so I can integrate its HPness (funnier if you say it out aloud) into my brain..

Ehehehe thats a rude word!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
    Well I ordered a hp 2524 from the ebays. Its only like 35 shipped so we will see how close it is to my 2600's in production at work. I'm fairly positive its pretty close, this should help get me some practice. Its just like cisco except it takes half the commands to accomplish the same task.
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I ordered a hp 2524 from the ebays. Its only like 35 shipped so we will see how close it is to my 2600's in production at work. I'm fairly positive its pretty close, this should help get me some practice. Its just like cisco except it takes half the commands to accomplish the same task.

.. And half the price at the most.

Have you looked at the certs in procurve? confusing.. and require classes... lame.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
    OoteR wrote: »

Have you looked at the certs in procurve? confusing.. and require classes... lame.

My work would pay for it :)

Well I got the switch in, and other than some commands featured in the newer HP Switch OS' its pretty much the same. At $30ish per unit on ebay I'll pic up two more then start looking for cheap Sonicwall NSA and Cisco ASA. Then I can duplicate most of my customers setups and study study study.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    OoteR wrote: »

Requires classes? Where did you get that idea from?

You just take exams like you would any other cert.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Requires classes? Where did you get that idea from?

You just take exams like you would any other cert.

It doesn't require the class so much as they do a relatively poor job providing materials. Maybe I just can't navigate their site very well.

The tests are cheap though..
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)