Security+ lifetime switch to CE?

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
Does anyone one if switching to CE within 90 days from lifetime provides the 50 ceu's?

Ex.: I passed in December, and just joined CE. So can't I use the 50 CEU's from my December pass towards the CE program? Meaning I wouldn't need to worry about CEU's again until after January, 2014?

I thought I read that somewhere that as long as you switch within 90 days, you can apply them.

Thanks!

Edit: found the remarks about it, but wanted to make sure that my previous Comptia Security+ would count.

I’ve recently, or am in the process of, completing an activity that could qualify for continuing education
units. Can I earn continuing education units for that?
This only applies if you are a “certified for life” professional. You can submit qualifying activities for continuing
education units as long as they were completed within 90 days prior to enrollment into CE. So if you enroll in CE
on day one, 1/1/11, you could submit qualifying activities that were completed on or after 10/1/10.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    Does anyone one if switching to CE within 90 days from lifetime provides the 50 ceu's?

Ex.: I passed in December, and just joined CE. So can't I use the 50 CEU's from my December pass towards the CE program? Meaning I wouldn't need to worry about CEU's again until after January, 2014?

I thought I read that somewhere that as long as you switch within 90 days, you can apply them.

Thanks!

Edit: found the remarks about it, but wanted to make sure that my previous Comptia Security+ would count.

I’ve recently, or am in the process of, completing an activity that could qualify for continuing education
    units. Can I earn continuing education units for that?
    This only applies if you are a “certified for life” professional. You can submit qualifying activities for continuing
    education units as long as they were completed within 90 days prior to enrollment into CE. So if you enroll in CE
    on day one, 1/1/11, you could submit qualifying activities that were completed on or after 10/1/10.

CompTIA Certification Renewal

Comptia customer support told me yes. II passed Security+ in December as well and enrolled in CE in January. I do not yet have Security+ CE, but customer care is "working on it" and said they should have a solution by Monday. I'll let you guys know.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If one is "lifetime" in Security+, but wants to remain current on Information Security, then it would be enough to employers (OUTSIDE of the DoD 8570 requirements) to obtain certs like the SSCP/CISSP.

Paying $147 to keep an entry level cert "current" is not a wise way of spending money. Even the DoD folks/otherwise Military get that $147 reimbursed.

If this doesn't apply to you, spend that money on ISC(2) materials.

Again, this is for the "lifetime" folks.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If one is "lifetime" in Security+, but wants to remain current on Information Security, then it would be enough to employers (OUTSIDE of the DoD 8570 requirements) to obtain certs like the SSCP/CISSP.

Paying $147 to keep an entry level cert "current" is not a wise way of spending money. Even the DoD folks/otherwise Military get that $147 reimbursed.

I agree.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□

I would say the same if you were going for the MCSE:Security exam 70-299, much better to pair Security+ and at least SSCP instead of doing 70-299 to qualify for MCSE:Security. That assumes you've already got Security+ though.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353

I plan on doing Associate of ISC^2 for CISSP down the road, but I was hesitant to do SSCP as its equal to S+ in the DoD realm, as both are IATII. Atleast the Associate for CISSP will qualify me for IATIII. I plan on takin g a bunch of certs and other CE activities, but wanted to make sure I get credit for the S+ if I'm entitled to it. I will probably take SSCP anyways though as I know it goes into InfoSec in more detain than S+. I really actually enjoy learning about security concepts.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)