Taking 70-642 tomorrow, first exam ever.

Hi all,

Pretty much just been a lurker here for a couple months.
Little about me- Graduated in June with Associates in Network Admin. Got a job a week later at a software company in the IT dept. I deal with ESXI, VM's, hardware, networking, our software, xp, server 2003 and server 2008 on a daily basis.

Before I started I didn't have much expierence in Server, just installed and minimal configuring. The last few months I have went through Testout Labsim twice (1st time was basically introduction to a lot of concepts and server roles), the second time was learning to use/troubleshoot. Also have labbed and went through all of the stickies--Thank you very much by the way.

Tomorrow I sit my first exam ever, and boy am I nervous. I feel I know the material well enough, it's just the drive is ~2 hours to prometric, I've never been to the center and don't know exaclty where it is, have map and gps though or the proper procedure for signing in and everything.

Any tips you can give a newbie? About the material and proper prometric signing in and test taking tips? I've went through their site and FAQ's, but I want to know from people who have actually expierenced it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Hi all,

Pretty much just been a lurker here for a couple months.
    Little about me- Graduated in June with Associates in Network Admin. Got a job a week later at a software company in the IT dept. I deal with ESXI, VM's, hardware, networking, our software, xp, server 2003 and server 2008 on a daily basis.

Before I started I didn't have much expierence in Server, just installed and minimal configuring. The last few months I have went through Testout Labsim twice (1st time was basically introduction to a lot of concepts and server roles), the second time was learning to use/troubleshoot. Also have labbed and went through all of the stickies--Thank you very much by the way.

Tomorrow I sit my first exam ever, and boy am I nervous. I feel I know the material well enough, it's just the drive is ~2 hours to prometric, I've never been to the center and don't know exaclty where it is, have map and gps though or the proper procedure for signing in and everything.

Any tips you can give a newbie? About the material and proper prometric signing in and test taking tips? I've went through their site and FAQ's, but I want to know from people who have actually expierenced it.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck on your test :) I sat my first exam in December for the 640. As for what to expect at the testing site, its really not that big of a deal at least during my experience. You get there, check in, they check your 2 forms of ID and make you sign an acknowledgment, and then they'll ask if you have anything on you like a cellphone that needs to be put away in a locked cabinet or locker.

Since its a long drive and you don't know where you are going leave plenty early! My test site wasn't too far away, but when I got there I found out they were having a some type of special function that day so all the visitor parking spots were blocked off for special guests and I ended up riding around looking for a parking spot hoping I wouldn't get towed away LOL. I still managed to get into the testing center a few minutes early and they let me start right away.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Thanks for the info unnamedplayer. It was just like you said. Wasn't a big deal at all.

Unfortunately I failed with a 546. I don't feel bad about it though, the Testout version work had didn't have r2 updates in it. Also, there was a lot more command line than I had figured as well.

Now I know what to study for next time. (Thinking in three weeks).
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. hope you got the free second shot deal. i never took a MS exam yet either so couldn't give you any tips. but mainly just wanted to say good luck next time!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info unnamedplayer. It was just like you said. Wasn't a big deal at all.

Unfortunately I failed with a 546. I don't feel bad about it though, the Testout version work had didn't have r2 updates in it. Also, there was a lot more command line than I had figured as well.

Now I know what to study for next time. (Thinking in three weeks).

Sorry to hear that. Were TestOut and the stickies the only things you used to study from? Did you do any practice tests? TBH, I am not familiar with Testout, is that computer based training just doing different simulations and such or is it video based?

I'm using the MS Pressbook at the moment + CBT Nuggets to study from. I'll probably get SelfTest practice tests a week or so before like I did for the 640. I thought they were kinda helpful to test if I had a good grip on the material.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Bad luck, just brush up on the areas you thought you were weakest on and you'll nail it next time.

IMHO the Server 2008 exams 640, 642, 643 for me required not just reading but importantly a significant amount of 'hands on' experience which can be gained by doing lots of labbing on virtual machines. There are many good walkthroughs on Technet which involve doing configuration across numerous topics and technologies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
    unnamedplayer---Yes, all I studied from was the Testout and the stickies...plus hands on with r2 in a VM, but it wasn't enough I guess. I didn't use any practice tests except which what was provided with Testout. Figured for $495 it would be enough material to pass, and the updated version with r2 probably is.

Testout goes like this, Video where a guy talks about a topic and gives facts, then watch a video on how to implement what he just talked about, then text with what was just covered, then on some sections there was a 'labsim' where you had to do things like configure dns or dhcp and stuff. Then take a short quiz (1-15 questions).

The questions weren't what I would call 'hard' or confusing, they were just asking about things I had never studied/used before, especially the command line stuff. I think I'll nail it next time after I study some of the more common cmd's for r2.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My friend is a MCITP:SA after 3 months, but he is unemployed and spent 6-8 hours every single day doing- labs. Never went outside of MSoft press and the Pocket Admin reference books; no videos or practice exams. He passed all 3 exams one by one with high scores because he just practiced everything microsoft required him to know for a job.

I think the general consensus between the people I consult, work and socialize with is if you don't lab 300 hours minimum per exam and somehow pass, you are only fooling yourself to believe you can proudly or even remotely say "I am a MCITP:SA who can do what I say I can", from what I've seen with other SA's I would have to say "Yeah, you know how to tell me what to do from videos and answer a question... But the DNS is down for the entire office for only some machines, what do you do? You can only terminal in, just command it in quickly" and I get blank stares. Followed by stuttering "Uhh.. so.. wheres the machine for.. the DNS.." Even tho the guy has worked there for weeks and the prior admin, I knew him, made everything accessible from his bedroom. (Great guy, never showered tho)
    :twisted:
    darkerz wrote: »
    I think the general consensus between the people I consult, work and socialize with is if you don't lab 300 hours minimum per exam and somehow pass, you are only fooling yourself........

Amen to that. icon_thumright.gif

I know people who think if they study answers to questions (take out of that what you like) that they have a good knowledge of the exam topics (they're usually quick brag about their score afterwards). I find if I study and lab the exam topics properly in the exam room the answers to the questions start to become clear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Took it again today and PASSED! 976! Lots of long and hard days this week studying. I'm glad I took the time to find out why I missed the some questions I didn't know last time, cause I got quite a few of the same. I'm stoked. Does anyone know how long it takes on average to get an e-mail from Microsoft regarding the pass? I think the sheet said I will get one and can sign up on the MCP website.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    demolished!! congrats icon_thumright.gif

whats next for ya?? 70-640??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    Probably not for awhile at least. Lots of studying and learning. I think I might take a step down and try to get some CompTIA exams under my belt, so I have more than one cert to show for the time being. I think I could knock one or two of them out fairly quick. I'm very confident the A+ would be a piece of cake with minimal studying. I read most of the exam cram book in college and had planned on taking it, but never got around to it.
    Took it again today and PASSED!

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to get an e-mail from Microsoft regarding the pass? I think the sheet said I will get one and can sign up on the MCP website.

Good pass and well done! icon_thumright.gif

Re your question, it normally takes 2-3 working days for MS to approve the result and send the congratulatory email with the instructions how to access the MCP site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, usually it taks 2-3 days to get the certificate and an Email from MS.