Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    You're lucky. I only have one prometric site here in Minneapolis, MN. And it is usually anywhere from a week to 3 weeks out to get an appointment. And for me it's a 45 min drive to goto. It sucks. There is a pearson vue site a lot closer but can't do MS test there.

Do you usually go to the one in Edina? I have to schedule mine soon and it looks to be the only dedicated prometric site in the cities.
    WGU grad
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Do you usually go to the one in Edina? I have to schedule mine soon and it looks to be the only dedicated prometric site in the cities.
    That's the one. Right next to the DQ HQ
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    fly351 wrote: »
    I think I read some where that there are few people here on TE that have graduated from WGU. Can you share your experience in terms of after graduation?

1. What degree did you graduate with (BS/MS in X)?
    2. Do you think that the degree has proven to be worthwhile?
    3. Has it improved your salary?
    4. Has it landed you a better position?

Thanks ;)

This should actually be over in the WGU questions thread. A recent poster chimed in about getting a job offer due to his WGU degree-- maybe he'll pipe in over there.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Finnally! Passed LET1 today. It took more time to grade it then write it. Paper 4 I just put some comments on it and resubmitted it. It passed. Now I need to finish up ABV1 (70-680) and AKV1 (Web Design) in like 2 weeks. I want to only have CCNA, CCSP, Tech Writing and Capstone left for the final term. But not sure if that will happen or not. Might take a 1-2 month term break to give me time to study for Project+ and Database then start the new term by taking those right away. Gives me a 8 month term instead of 6.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • skelldogskelldog Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're lucky. I only have one prometric site here in Minneapolis, MN. And it is usually anywhere from a week to 3 weeks out to get an appointment. And for me it's a 45 min drive to goto. It sucks. There is a pearson vue site a lot closer but can't do MS test there.
    There are at least 3 sites, Prometric itself, Academy, Knowledge Transfer Computer Training, somtimes it will let you schedule Dakota County Technical College, I am told they are primarially for students. you may want to try on the web if the phone is telling you there is only one.
    The Academy College is in Bloomington, another 10-15 miles. The other is in Eagan which is like a 90 min drive for me. The only one close to me is Edina.
  • cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello, everybody. Looks like I'm slated to start March 1st. Transferred in my Associates Degree, and the certs in my signature. Received my transcript evaluation on Friday. Looks like the only General Education classes I have to do are IWC1 & IWT1(Humanities) How hard are these?

Really wasn't expecting that much to transfer in with an Associate Of Science, but not complaining at all!

I will need to take WFV1, TPV1, TSV1, AHV1, A1V1, AJV1, and of course the humanities to graduate. Have been studying for Security + on and off for a year; So, should be able to knock that out quickly! I was one test away from my MCSA, so the Microsoft classes shouldn't be too hard.

Excited to get started!
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello, everybody. Looks like I'm slated to start March 1st. Transferred in my Associates Degree, and the certs in my signature. Received my transcript evaluation on Friday. Looks like the only General Education classes I have to do are IWC1 & IWT1(Humanities) How hard are these?

I had to search my emails to answer your query about IWC1 and IWT1. WGU accepted a Drama/Acting (easy B+) class and a comparative religion course (saturday class...would have been an easy A but had to settle for a C+ because I had to get drunk on Fridays...lmao). Both were taken at a small and expensive Catholic college to satisfy both of those classes. Sounds like you'll be writing a paper and taking a test--IWT1 and IWC1 respectively. I would really doubt any class in the humanities to be that difficult though...really doubt it.
    I will need to take WFV1, TPV1, TSV1, AHV1, A1V1, AJV1, and of course the humanities to graduate. Have been studying for Security + on and off for a year; So, should be able to knock that out quickly! I was one test away from my MCSA, so the Microsoft classes shouldn't be too hard.

Excited to get started!

Knock out "TSV1" within your first 12 CUs. I bought Darril Gibson's book in 5/26/2010 and didn't take the exam until 8/26/2010. I had too much going on before I enrolled in WGU, but I had read a couple of chapters off and on....when I started WGU, I went back to the beginning and knocked DG's book out and then scheduled for the exam. I took that before WFV1, as you'll see in my signature. You'll be fine with it, I'm sure, as with all of your cert exams.

Best of luck. :)
    I'm taking this web designer course and I can't stop laughing. I'm watching some videos on onlinelearning.com for it and I can't even guess how old they are. They are talking about IE 5 and using framesets. Frames are never used anymore. And what are we on now? IE 9 in beta? LOL it's a tad out of date. Just need to pass the test.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm taking this web designer course and I can't stop laughing. I'm watching some videos on onlinelearning.com for it and I can't even guess how old they are. They are talking about IE 5 and using framesets. Frames are never used anymore. And what are we on now? IE 9 in beta? LOL it's a tad out of date. Just need to pass the test.

Just 'cause we don't use 'em doesn't mean we don't see 'em. :) If you look around, I'm sure it's not hard to find older sites still using frames.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    petedude wrote: »
    Just 'cause we don't use 'em doesn't mean we don't see 'em. :) If you look around, I'm sure it's not hard to find older sites still using frames.

And most of them are done badly. I am ashamed to say I do have some frames on one of my Joomla sites. To get some content in its an evil we have to live with.

I embed some video on the page and frames were the cleanest way to do it when using a dyndns for a staic ip to reference video through. Using a dynamic ip off my data card was not a good option. To ref that address you need frames. I also think some embedded google stuff still use framesets. I know I have it sprinkled on a few pages I had to hand code. So it nice to know but not for a whole page like they have it laid out.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
    Well, I'm done with 3 out of the 4 tasks for LET1. Well, typing the papers anyway. I still gotta go through each one and make sure they're somewhat rubric proof, but I'll do that after the 4th task.

Yeah, this definitely ain't EWB, but it's not LAT1 either. However, if I am able to finish Task 4 tomorrow and comb through my drafts, I might still be done with LAT1 before the first Friday of February (or perhaps sooner if I'm lucky with the graders). :D I am handing all of my assignments in on 2/1.

I also took MGC1 and ORC1 preassessments. Let's just say we'll be taking those the first and second Saturday, respectively.

What I do have to work on is QLC1....I got my first not-passesd with a 49%. This was a preassessment, of course, but it sucks that it's there. LOL. I have to bone up on functions and geometry. Will do that after I'm done with LET1. I'm still on track to be done with LET1, ORC, MGC1, QLC1 and QLT1 before the end of February...worst case scenario 2nd week in March.

Oh and BTW, I do recommend anyone taking LET1 to get their hands on the book...the index makes it easy for you to find the topics you need to work on your tasks and the pages you have to read to write about are usually a few pages. Saves people time from scouring the Internet. :) After I'm done with LET1 and ORC1, I did promise my book to another TE'er (for the cost I spent). If that falls through, I'll make it available in the for sale thread or something.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just had to share since no one in my house seems the least bit impressed.

I am doing a little happy dance over subnetting. icon_cheers.gif

I am working on my CCNA and I finally get it. I always say screw it and just use a calculator. I knew the theory before but never REALLY got it until tonight. I am whipping out subnets and supernets without a problem. Cant wait to see if this is a fluke or if I can still do it in a week. LOL

Makes the Bears loss a little less painful tonight.

+1 That made me laugh. My light bulb came on recently for subnetting, so easy now. I don't know why it was so hard earlier on. :D
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Well, I'm done with 3 out of the 4 tasks for LET1. Well, typing the papers anyway. I still gotta go through each one and make sure they're somewhat rubric proof, but I'll do that after the 4th task.

Yeah, this definitely ain't EWB, but it's not LAT1 either. However, if I am able to finish Task 4 tomorrow and comb through my drafts, I might still be done with LAT1 before the first Friday of February (or perhaps sooner if I'm lucky with the graders). :D I am handing all of my assignments in on 2/1.

I also took MGC1 and ORC1 preassessments. Let's just say we'll be taking those the first and second Saturday, respectively.

What I do have to work on is QLC1....I got my first not-passesd with a 49%. This was a preassessment, of course, but it sucks that it's there. LOL. I have to bone up on functions and geometry. Will do that after I'm done with LET1. I'm still on track to be done with LET1, ORC, MGC1, QLC1 and QLT1 before the end of February...worst case scenario 2nd week in March.

Oh and BTW, I do recommend anyone taking LET1 to get their hands on the book...the index makes it easy for you to find the topics you need to work on your tasks and the pages you have to read to write about are usually a few pages. Saves people time from scouring the Internet. :) After I'm done with LET1 and ORC1, I did promise my book to another TE'er (for the cost I spent). If that falls through, I'll make it available in the for sale thread or something.

im fighting with taskstream graders on let1 but its def not that hard just got to get exactly what they want
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    My problem with with LET was that I read to much in between the lines. I considered the person with 12 years at the company as having expert power. But I was told that years in a company doesn't mean experience sometimes. So I had to redo that. Grading took almost 3 weeks for me on it so be prepared for that. My paper 4 was sent back with a note stating that a whole section was missing - I had it in there so I highlighted it and put a note on it. I resubmitted it and got a 4 in that section lol.

If anyone needs the book let me know, I'm open to trade or sell.
    My problem with with LET was that I read to much in between the lines. I considered the person with 12 years at the company as having expert power. But I was told that years in a company doesn't mean experience sometimes. So I had to redo that. Grading took almost 3 weeks for me on it so be prepared for that. My paper 4 was sent back with a note stating that a whole section was missing - I had it in there so I highlighted it and put a note on it. I resubmitted it and got a 4 in that section lol.

If anyone needs the book let me know, I'm open to trade or sell.

You're talking about task 3.....which is still fresh on my mind. I will admit, that task threw me for a doozy as well...5 bases of power but three scenarios. It was stuff like that is where the book helped me out as well. What was throwing me off though was the first scenario, but after I reread about the bases of power, I realized what I was missing and added them in with support sentences. The only thing I have to do when I'm done with task 4 is just go over these papers one last time and made sure I formatted them properly and all of that. That part won't take that long.

What I'm going to do when I submit all of them is state what I have based on what they asked in the notes. I look forward to working on the last task....that one looks like fun. :D
    You're talking about task 3.....which is still fresh on my mind. I will admit, that task threw me for a doozy as well...5 bases of power but three scenarios. It was stuff like that is where the book helped me out as well. What was throwing me off though was the first scenario, but after I reread about the bases of power, I realized what I was missing and added them in with support sentences. The only thing I have to do when I'm done with task 4 is just go over these papers one last time and made sure I formatted them properly and all of that. That part won't take that long.

What I'm going to do when I submit all of them is state what I have based on what they asked in the notes. I look forward to working on the last task....that one looks like fun. :D

yea task 3 is a pain in the but i found all 5 bases i think 3 employees 2 managers
    Task 4 was the easiest for me. It was straight out of the book. Just follow the prompt, read the book and paraphrase. Last part just offer suggestions on how the company could do better based on what you wrote previously. The hardest part is the Value of Common Criteria. Just put down why having the same standards for everyone is a good thing or bad and why. The task prompt makes it more complicated than it is.
    yea task 3 is a pain in the but i found all 5 bases i think 3 employees 2 managers

Oh me too....it just took like a few more seconds to realize that one of the scenarios will deal with all the (three) bases of power that are formal and the other two will deal with each (two) personal power base individually....once I realized that, I was able to write about all (five) power bases and they corresponded to the situations in the scenario.

The book though was definitely a Godsend...I can't stress that enough.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would like to encourage all WGU students to join the WGU and WGU Alumni groups on LinkedIn. Since being a member it's really surprised me how much WGU students will help out each other. I constantly find WGU Alumni advertising jobs that are available at their place of employment. This is the kind of thing that makes a University/College worth attending.
    am i the only one who really dis-likes the taskstream system where you cant just talk to the grader and see exactly what they require rather than getting a random email saying needs revision and a very cryptic explanation
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    am i the only one who really dis-likes the taskstream system where you cant just talk to the grader and see exactly what they require rather than getting a random email saying needs revision and a very cryptic explanation

I have to agree. This is a problem that needs to be fixed.
    The 6th Amendment of the US Constitution guarantees a speedy trial, an impartial jury, that the accused can confront witnesses against them, and that the accused must be allowed to have a lawyer.

If I can demand this from a court of law, I should be able to demand this from WGU and their shadowy network of "graders." I am, of course, only concerned about the bold and underlined portion of the Sixth Amendment.

I would not be surprised if WGU one day (one day) gets sued over this.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My guess would be that Taskstream does not employee teachers just people that go through the material with a set of rules and a rubric to check against. I think it would be funny if they take everything we send them then sell them on some research paper website...lol
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I just wanted to say that I wasn't much of a student who goes to like 5 classes on a daily schedule and was terrible and focusing multiple subjects like that. That was part of the reason I did so bad in state college. Even before applying to WGU, I did much better focusing on one topic/exam at a time and spending 15-20 hours a week doing so. I love WGU's system and it allows me to focus on one specific thing without having to do a whole bunch of different subjects at once.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    drew726 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I wasn't much of a student who goes to like 5 classes on a daily schedule and was terrible and focusing multiple subjects like that. That was part of the reason I did so bad in state college. Even before applying to WGU, I did much better focusing on one topic/exam at a time and spending 15-20 hours a week doing so. I love WGU's system and it allows me to focus on one specific thing without having to do a whole bunch of different subjects at once.

Same here. I am so much better as a, I guess you would call, a "linear learner", than someone who can take 4-5 different classes at once like in high school and a "regular" college. That's why I LOVE WGU, and can't wait to enroll.

I'm working on becoming a better student, I know what I need to do, and it's slowly working for me.

I messed around after high school for 25 years, but I guess earning my Bachelors by 45 is better than never. :D
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177

I haven't started school yet (will do on March 1st), but was just wondering what book you were referencing for LET1. Sorry if I missed it previously in the thread, but since yourself and themagicone were referencing selling/trading I assume this book is not WGU provided.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    If I can demand this from a court of law, I should be able to demand this from WGU and their shadowy network of "graders." I am, of course, only concerned about the bold and underlined portion of the Sixth Amendment.

I would not be surprised if WGU one day (one day) gets sued over this.

My Masters Mentor claims that WGU does it that way to maintain accreditation. By having a 3rd party grade the assessments WGU remains impartial. Kind of works the same way with the proctored exams as they are written and administered by a 3rd party to WGU's specifications (excluding certs) which are completely 3rd party.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
    I haven't started school yet (will do on March 1st), but was just wondering what book you were referencing for LET1. Sorry if I missed it previously in the thread, but since yourself and themagicone were referencing selling/trading I assume this book is not WGU provided.

When you start WGU, you will have what's called an EWB (Education Without Boundaries) course. This is pretty much the equivalent of a freshman orientation course. In that course, you will learn about the Course of Study (CoS) [and among other items that they will cover about WGU like the communities, mentors, etc.] that you will want to look at for your classes. In your CoS you will see what book you need for your classes and the ISBN. The ISBN for the LET1 one book is 0132431564 (Organizational Behavior by S. Robbins and T. Judge, 12th Edition). The book is up to the 14th Edition now, but it is recommended that you stick with the 12th Edition (unless, of course, the CoS changes for you and now requires the newer edition.)

For textbooks, I use a site called College Books - Buy College Textbooks Online - Compare Textbook Prices and get a list that's aggregated from book selling sites that will have books from .99 to almost $200 for brand new. Sometimes Amazon will have good deals, most of the time you'll find them on eBay.

My book is already slated to someone else, as I said, when I'm done with LET1/ORC1 (they use the same one). If he got the book elsewhere or something, I will ask one of you guys who may need it before I sell it to the rest of the world.
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    My Masters Mentor claims that WGU does it that way to maintain accreditation. By having a 3rd party grade the assessments WGU remains impartial. Kind of works the same way with the proctored exams as they are written and administered by a 3rd party to WGU's specifications (excluding certs) which are completely 3rd party.

There should at least be a better process to confront a grader though. At least with other colleges that are a accredited, students can always do that.

Mind you, this isn't a knock on WGU; many things have one of two flaws that, at worst, annoy me. This just happens to be one of them.