Options

Failed 70-299 on Saturday - Passed Saturday just gone!!

strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
Dam exam!! scored 650. Out of all the MS exams I have done, including just recently passing 70-298 this is the most ridiculously obscure exam coming up with scenarios that would never happen if someone knew what they were doing.

So instead of asking question about everyday, common and even typically complex scenarios, the ones you actually need to be proficient in they ask about thing that most people would never come across and if you did you would look it up.

My problem with is that there'll be people who are security certified by being able to configure VPN routing across non interconnected forests using certificate services and L2TP Ipsec with computers that aren't member of the domain BUT they won't know how to create a simple domain or forrest trust. Yep, not one question on trusts! Even though it is very much listed and I would thing would be incredibly important. Others barely making an appearance was Wireless, IIS, CA's, network encryption, security polcies, groups. In fact if I had known inside out SUS (which I did OK on), VPNs and security auditing and that was all I could have probably passed this exam. I know they sound simple but they asked some unbelievable question about these topics and almost none about the others!

Well anyway thats my rant, I'll go back and tackle it again soon.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Sorry about the too-low score. But, now that you know the areas covererd, I'm sure that you'll clobber it next time! Best of luck!

And....thanks for the heads up on this monster.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Well anyway thats my rant, I'll go back and tackle it again soon.

Knowlege of the subject matter is clearly not your problem.

Let us know how it goes.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    Thanks for your support guys. I'll use it to help me pass this exam :)
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Sorry to hear that strauchr.

You'll get it next time.
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    OK, I took this exam on the Saturday just gone, 2 weeks after failing and got an 825. I really only just reviewed stuff I had already studied before and unfortunately had a few to many Stella's the night before so I was a bit light headed (not a good idea I know - just one I said to myself!)

So toward the end of my exam my concentration was wading but still managed to pull through. Make no mistake with this exam it is quite difficult not because the subject is overly testing if you have already done the rest of the MCSE but because some of the questions are just so obscure and not very detailed. You really have to guess at what MS is trying to ask you.

So this is my last MS exam for a long time (hopefully) so its time to move to CCNA. Finally something new and interesting!

Thanks for the support guys
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations with the pass and the new cert! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    gpSRTgpSRT Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam with very little studying and passed with a high score. I worked in an IT school and we established through the amount of test takers coming through and one of the instructors writing questions for the 70-299 that there were 2 versions of the exam. One hard one and one easy one.

Nice score man!
    Pocono Community Bank
    Network Administrator

Currently working on...
    MCSE:Messaging, MCAD (VB.NET), CCNA
  • Options
    That would be right. Why couldn't I get the easier one the first time round. Wasted 2 weeks! Oh well, its done now.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.