Options

A+ study plan (input appreciated)

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
Hello, all. I'm currently taking an A+ prep course at the local community college. The college is using Cisco's Net Academy A+ content, so I'll be studying that, as well as studying for the exams that are included in the Net Academy's curriculum. We'll also have some hands on experience in the classroom. In addition to this, I plan on:

Studying Mike Meyers book/using the practice test
Making flash cards
Doing online practice tests
Skimming over Professor Messor's videos for content I may be having trouble with if necessary.
Messing around on an older computer, maybe using VMWare.

Is there anything else I should add? Also, regarding flash cards, I was thinking of focusing on acronyms, but is it a good idea to ask something like "What is NLX? Explain." with the answer on the back, or "In Windows 7 how do you get to__?" or is that too specific?

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mm. Read 2-3 sources on the A+ exam and Mike Meyers stuff.

Other then that... Expose yourself to hardware and read the forums. Be objective. Within a month you will look back at the A+ and think it's absolutely mundane.

Source; I did this in 2006 with my A+ certification. 3 weeks is all it took.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    darkerz wrote: »
    Mm. Read 2-3 sources on the A+ exam and Mike Meyers stuff.

Other then that... Expose yourself to hardware and read the forums. Be objective. Within a month you will look back at the A+ and think it's absolutely mundane.

Source; I did this in 2006 with my A+ certification. 3 weeks is all it took.

Well, I'm definitely not cramming yet. I'm casually going through the Cisco book, but as I progress I'm going to start reading Meyer's book and start cramming in addition to studying the Cisco book. Just curious what the definition of 2-3 different sources means? Do you mean picking up additional books? Or say, Professor Messor's videos, online sources, etc?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. download the exam objectives, so you know what to study, but don't be limit your learning to the objectives.
    2. Get a break/fix computer to play with the physical components.
    3. Mike's book is solid for this, only book I had to use.
    4. Flash cards are great for memorization.
    5. Practice tests once you've gone through most of the material. These will help gauge where you need to study more and what you're good with.
    6. As far as other sources, you could continue with the videos, check out Amazon for additional books.

Good luck!
  • Options
    PHAsquarePHAsquare Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike's book is great. Also if you can get your hands on Exam Force's testing software it will prep you for a high score. I used it and had about 4-5 different resources. I've been in IT for a long time but as for test prep...ExamForce got me ready in about 7 days.