What difference between CCNA sec and Security +

Xishan anwarXishan anwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is security+
Actually I am preparing for CCNA security
What difference between CCNA sec and Security +

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    CCNA: Security is more focuses on Cisco equipment.. Port Security, IOS Firewalls, secure management, with the configurations to back it up.

Like any Cisco test you will answer questions and be expected to go through simulations.

The Security+ is a pretty broad covering of security topics (more theory then configurations) covering encryptions types/strength, virus, as well as topics covering social engineering and physical security.

Depends what your goal is. If you want to get your feet wet with security then do the security+ if you are already very familiar with Cisco and you have setup SSH management, VPN's, port security, CBAC/ZBF firewall, IPS in the past, then do CCNA: Security.

CCNA is a pre-req for the CCNA: Sec - it doesn't stop you from taking the test but you won't get the cert till you get your CCNA. Security+ has no pre-reqs

May also want to view the topics covered:
    Security+
    CCNA: Security
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ is basically explaining the overall Security concepts like IDS, Firewall and other security features and how to improve it overall

Where as CCNA : S is mainly to do with Cisco IOS having said this i was told by many CCNA: S certified people / posts that it also overlaps the Sec+ a bit ..Guess i am right ...
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know much about the CCNA:Security exam, but Security+ is vendor neutral and is thus a high level overview to the world of security. I expect that the CCNA:S would be more hands on and you would be implementing the things discussed with the Security+.
    Decide what to be and go be it.