Damn, Failed 70-294

DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed 70-293 with a 837 and was not able to answer any sims. When I took 70-294 yesterday I felt the exact same-good on questions and could not answer sims well at all. Well, I failed with a 497!!icon_redface.gif How is that possible, do they grade it differently. The sims killed me and I really don't have any systems set up at my house to simulate a network, I can't play with GPO"s, OU's, etc.
I did not use the CBT nuggets from my work for this exam so that kinda hurt me, I just studied the practice questions from Microsoft. Does anyone know where I can buy a CD that has simulations so I can practice that way? I rember I had one for CCNA and it was like you were on a full blown network.
I have just studied from a book for all my certs, I have taken no classes, just winged it:)

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For every test I've taken so far, the sims are almost gimme's. They open you right up to where you need to be and after minimal poking around you can usually find out what you need to do, or at least make a good attempt.

You need to get some labbing. Use the CD from the back of the book, install it in a VM. Then just spend a couple hours goofing off and seeing what you can do. Follow some labs from the book if you need to, but I usually just like to design my own virtual network.

Otherwise CBT's are always good too. It gives you that experience knowledge without actually doing it yourself.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    For every test I've taken so far, the sims are almost gimme's. They open you right up to where you need to be and after minimal poking around you can usually find out what you need to do, or at least make a good attempt.

You need to get some labbing. Use the CD from the back of the book, install it in a VM. Then just spend a couple hours goofing off and seeing what you can do. Follow some labs from the book if you need to, but I usually just like to design my own virtual network.

Otherwise CBT's are always good too. It gives you that experience knowledge without actually doing it yourself.
    Yea, I know what you mean on the sims, I did poke around a bit but just did'nt do the right thing or know what was righticon_silent.gif
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DOS wrote: »
    How is that possible, do they grade it differently.
    This is definitely possible. Microsoft can grade the exams as they see fit.
    The sims killed me and I really don't have any systems set up at my house to simulate a network, I can't play with GPO"s, OU's, etc.
    This hurts you tremendously, not just for the exams, but for actually using the knowledge in the real world. Also there is not much excuse not to setup a home lab nowadays. You can get virtualization software for free, such as the excellent VirtualBox. A decent desktop PC can easily run several virtual 2003 servers. I did the MCITP: EA using a single desktop (running VMware Workstation, which isn't free), and I'm now doing the MCSE using a single laptop (using VirtualBox).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    This hurts you tremendously, not just for the exams, but for actually using the knowledge in the real world. Also there is not much excuse not to setup a home lab nowadays. You can get virtualization software for free, such as the excellent VirtualBox. A decent desktop PC can easily run several virtual 2003 servers. I did the MCITP: EA using a single desktop (running VMware Workstation, which isn't free), and I'm now doing the MCSE using a single laptop (using VirtualBox).
    Cool thanks! Do I just down load the VirtualBox or the VirtualBox OSE?
    OK, I downloaded the VirtualBox last night. Devilsbane mentioned to use the CD that comes with the book and install it in a VM. I have nver done this before so I am a newby. What else do I have to do? Is it easy to set up? I have usually skip over the labs becuase I never had Server 2003 set up on my computer. I just watched the CBT's. Thanks
    There is virtually no difference between installing server2003 vs xp. Pop the cd in, set up virtualbox to have control of that drive. Then just do the next next finish and enter your product key. Couldn't be easier.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    I am sorry. I never cry **** but...... This sounds a lot like a dumper. Made it past the 70-293(and assuming all the prior ones too) and does not know how to install an OS.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude,

I won't go as far as to accuse you of dumping, but I will say you are missing some of the key points of the MCSE path. It's not to get the cert, but to run those labs from the Microsoft Press books. I had very little experience, and it took me two years to get my MCSE. I am into my second year studying for the CCNP also.

Looking back, I am glad I took my time. While coworkers were laid off, I wasn't. When someone needs a cross forest trust setup, I get the job. Just saying...

Follow along, and ensure you have done every lab in the books and you won't have to worry about the sims on the exams. Most people who have done the labs from the book, actually find the sims on the exam a breath of fresh air! They are actually quite easy. The questions on the other hands are poorly worded garbage.

First thing is first. You really need to mess with Virtual box/Vmware a bit. I suggest you go to vtc.com and watch their series on Using Virtual Machines. This will really unlock your ability to lab.
    QuickStart! - Using Virtual Machines Tutorials

Then you might want to go back to your 70-290/291 and do every lab there. SOO much of that knowledge builds up. wSUS, GPOs are essential experience to have.Throw yourself a curve ball or two also, Add a Linux SUSE box and a MacOS workstation to your domain. This really gets you thinking about how it works.

I can assure you, those sims you are seeing are nothing compared to the interview process my companies help desk would put you through for even entry level work. So please don't sell yourself short by missing those labs.

best of luck,
    -Daniel
    citinerd wrote: »
    I am sorry. I never cry **** but...... This sounds a lot like a dumper. Made it past the 70-293(and assuming all the prior ones too) and does not know how to install an OS.

When Devilsbane said use the disc that came with the book I thought he was talking about the second disc NOT the one with Server 2003. I have loaded an OS dozens of time. Sorry I am not as talented as you! If you read the first post to this thread you would have seen that I am only using the MS press books, go over the practice questions and watch the CBT nuggets from work. I do not do the labs and this is why I do poorly on the sims.
    I guess you mean "**** sites" with the exact questions when saying "dumper". If I purchased those then I guess I would have passed, right?

I have Admin accounts at my work but I do BASIC desktop support for the DOD. I am only trying to better myself by trying to get MCSE. I have little time to study so that is why I am never doing the labs. I will continue my studying and try to hit some of the labs. Like most of you say "A pass is a pass". But unfortunately my method hurts me.
    Thanks for the responses guys!
    I have Admin accounts at my work but I do BASIC desktop support for the DOD. I am only trying to better myself by trying to get MCSE. I have little time to study so that is why I am never doing the labs. I will continue my studying and try to hit some of the labs. Like most of you say "A pass is a pass". But unfortunately my method hurts me.

I am nearly in the same boat here. I have nearly no actual experience with Network administration. But that doesn't mean I can't do it. I have worked with maybe 50 servers over the past couple years. Just none of them have been in a production enviornment. But that experience is more than enough to get me through the test, and then some day get a job working on those production servers.

Don't skimp on the labs, it's the difference between knowing and understanding. Nobody wants to hire a guy who knows all the information but not how to utilize it. They are going to pay you to do the work and not recite definitions and solve poorly worded questions.
    When Devilsbane said use the disc that came with the book I thought he was talking about the second disc NOT the one with Server 2003. I have loaded an OS dozens of time. Sorry I am not as talented as you! If you read the first post to this thread you would have seen that I am only using the MS press books, go over the practice questions and watch the CBT nuggets from work. I do not do the labs and this is why I do poorly on the sims.
    I guess you mean "**** sites" with the exact questions when saying "dumper". If I purchased those then I guess I would have passed, right?

The labs are very important to the tests. If you know and practice the labs it will solidify all the information in the MSPress books. I am sorry for calling you a dumper that just isn't like me. I must have been in an odd mood that night. Please don't take it to heart. Just find time to do labs they are very helpful and could be helpful in interviews. My current employer found it impressive when I told them I had several servers and Cisco routers set up to practice on and expand my knowledge.

I am sure if you can fit the labs in you will be able to knock the 294 out. Good Luck.
    Man I am a douche... I re-read my earlier post. Again I am sorry.

Did you reschedule yet. Get back on the horse.
    citinerd wrote: »
    Man I am a douche... I re-read my earlier post. Again I am sorry.

Did you reschedule yet. Get back on the horse.

No worries. I found a cool link for some Microsoft virtual labs
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/windowsserver2003.aspx
    They have a bunch related to GPO. I still am having an issue with my home setup, adding a second DC but get an error. I will figure it out. It's hard to find time to study, I will hit this weekend hard. I will try to take the test at the end of Feb.
    No worries. I found a cool link for some Microsoft virtual labs
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/windowsserver2003.aspx
    They have a bunch related to GPO. I still am having an issue with my home setup, adding a second DC but get an error. I will figure it out. It's hard to find time to study, I will hit this weekend hard. I will try to take the test at the end of Feb.

I guess I can't really say much since I took a month between my exams, but do you really think it's a good idea to put this on hold for another month? A month is a long time, and I found myself needing to go back to restudy things that I already had down.

Are you doing any practice tests?
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I guess I can't really say much since I took a month between my exams, but do you really think it's a good idea to put this on hold for another month? A month is a long time, and I found myself needing to go back to restudy things that I already had down.

Are you doing any practice tests?

I am not really putting it on hold, I just cannot study when I get home from work. I am tired and can only squeeze out a hour or two then it's time for dinner. When I do study on the weekends it is usually 7-8 hrs a day. Sometimes I take a day off from work, juice up on caffeine and go through practice questions, CBT's and whatever I find. Your right, if I go too long I do forget what I learned. It takes me about 2 months per cert.