Not sure where to go next?

Justin2420Justin2420 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need some advice. I am A+ and Network+ certified, but so far that has not opened any doors for me. I Have been studying the MCSA/MCSE just because i have free study material from my (outdated) school. I know MCITP seems to be the way of the future, but i also see alot of systems still running xp/2003. I have these three options in mind so far:

1. Just keep studying for MCSE and take it from there (Hopefully it opens a door with a company running the xp/2003 stuff)

2. Just go for MCITP in the SA, OR EA arena

3. Realistically im thinking my first job would probably be in "desktop support" rather than being in control of a network, so i was thinkin maybe just get a simple MCDST or MCITP for desktop support to get my foot in the door as a desktop support tech, and than i can take it from there.

Keep in mind my goal for the next few months is to just GET A JOB at all. I have been unemployed since before christmas and really need to get the ball rolling any way i can, which is why i am trying to do something not to pricey (training/exams wise) and maybe just go for desktop support which i think is just 1 or 2 exams. Any advice/info is GREATLY appreciated..i am really struggling with these choices. Thanks alot in advance!!!!!!!!

Comments

• OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have free materials but none of the certs towards the MCSA/E?

I would almost not bother... The tests are going to cost you some $ anyway, I'd look for something more modern... Like the windows 7 desktop support track.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start off with 70-680 Windows 7 and 70-685 Enterprise Desktop Support Technican.

You wouldn't really have time to finish up the MCDST as it is scheduled to retire at the end of March. I would think going with MCITP SA/EA would be a better move as 2003 is getting old just the same as Windows XP. They are easier exams from what I here also. You'd really need to do the Windows 7 exam before contemplating going for MCITP SA/EA.

Volunteering can be a great way to at least get a foot in the door of somewhere and then look for something more concrete.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    First define the role you would like to one day fill.

Then look for skills required for that role.

Do you want to be a more systems focused person (Microsoft, VMware, Citrix, Linux) are all options available to you and I think Microsoft certs would be the way to go (win7 first ideally).

You have many options available for you like Networking, Security, Database, Web design, functional IT, the list can go on and on and within each domain you can specialize even further.

While you prepare for your Microsoft exam really look at what you want to do...I wouldn't just blindly take M$ certs because you feel its the next logical step....does your ideal job value them?
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Justin2420Justin2420 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea i guess your right, i will just look into desktop support for now within Windows 7. Thanks for the advice, ideally i would like to "try" desktop support and then work my way into networking side of things. Desktop support seems like what i would like to do, but i just don't think i can raise a family on it in these times.
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Justin the big thing is to get into a company. Show them that you are a exceptional worker, team player, go the extra mile, want to learn more etc. In most cases with a little patience you will move up. When I interview people not only do I look at their certs, experience and schooling but what kind of person they are. Motivation is a big thing to show during an interview - also before you go for any job do a little web research on the company and when the interviewer asks if you have any questions - HAVE A FEW it shows you have an interest -
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCDST examination (271 and 272)retires on june 30th.
    not only is it much easier than the windows 7 counterpart, but much of the material you cover can be used when studying topics for the windows 7 version. Though its nowhere near all of what you'll cover in the 680 and 685, its another cert and does not use the harder 270 client exam (like needed for mcse/sa).

for windows 7, youll need the same client exam needed for EA/SA.(680)
    its generally much much harder than the 271 or 272.

and even if you want, you can upgrade to 680/685 in one exam.

some people are going to say dont bother with xp, but it is still widely used.
    and if you do bother, make sure you get the windows 7 version as well afterwards.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    My experience is that certifications don't open doors. Certifications only prevent doors from being immediately slammed shut in your face by HR.

Experience opens doors. Unfortunately it's a catch 22. You need experience to get the job but you can't get the experience without the job. icon_sad.gif

The route I took was two fold.

1) I took a couple of jobs in technical call centers for Sprint and DirecTV solving issues with cellular web browsing and satellite television. This gave me experience in both customer service and basic technical troubleshooting. Both of these skills are relevant and immediately transferable to an entry level IT position.

2) I spoke to the owners of various small retail businesses in my area and explained that I was trying to break into the IT field. I also showed them my certifications and asked them if they would mind giving me a call when they ran into computer problems.

I also said that I wouldn't charge them if I couldn't fix the issue so they had no risk other than downtime. I then followed up those visits by shopping in those stores and developing personal relationships. This eventually led to more and more requests for help as my network grew. I also made sure that they knew I was looking for a permanent position and asked them to recommend me if they heard of something opening up somewhere.

It was never a huge amount of money but it gave me a lot of documentable real world experience in several areas for my resume. I was also able to garner several letters of recommendation which eventually helped me secure my first real IT job.