The difference between 12.2 and 12.4

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
A friend gave me a couple of 2651XM routers. I just got the chance to startup them up and found that they are 12.2 and not 12.4 like I originally thought. Is this going to cause me major problems for the CCNA?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone have any thoughts?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    Bit impatient? :P

12.3 release notes

12.4 release notes

Go look to see what gets changed/added. I'd upgrade them at minimum to a late 12.3. 12.2 has way too many differences against 12.4. The maximum you'll get on them is a lateish version of 12.4T.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Bit impatient? :P

12.3 release notes

12.4 release notes

Go look to see what gets changed/added. I'd upgrade them at minimum to a late 12.3. 12.2 has way too many differences against 12.4. The maximum you'll get on them is a lateish version of 12.4T.

LOL, just a little impatient icon_wink.gif

Thanks, I was afraid you would say that. Guess I might have to purchase a 2651XM to pull 12.4 from. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL, just a little impatient icon_wink.gif

Thanks, I was afraid you would say that. Guess I might have to purchase a 2651XM to pull 12.4 from. icon_rolleyes.gif

nope, not really. use "google". that's where I got my 12.4 for my 1721's from icon_wink.gif
  • dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    as long as you own the hardware and it's got the memory you can download the IOS and tftp it to your router.

checking out cisco documentation on IOS releases and support. It's long-winded but is very useful in sorting out this type of stuff.

EDIT: I just realized you need a Technical Support Services Agreement with them to get it online...sorry. gl
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is this going to cause me major problems for the CCNA?
    What's the feature set?

I don't think they've added anything special to the CCNA that requires the latest version. 12.2 still still probably has what you need for the CCNA.

It's the CCNA Security where you will need a 12.4(9)T or 12.4(11)T (or greater) for the Zone Based Firewall support (and an Advanced Security or greater feature set).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What's the feature set?

I don't think they've added anything special to the CCNA that requires the latest version. 12.2 still still probably has what you need for the CCNA.

It's the CCNA Security where you will need a 12.4(9)T or 12.4(11)T (or greater) for the Zone Based Firewall support (and an Advanced Security or greater feature set).
    and IPS ....