Options

How do you assign address to serial port?

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm trying to add an ip address to a "generic" router in Packet Tracer, I use the following command:

Router(config)interface serial 0

it won't accept the "0"

Comments

• Options
    WillayntoWillaynto Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    first, u must check what's serial number in Packet Tracer , click option and then preference , click always show port labels. i think's serials in PT not 0 but 0/0/0 ,0/0/1, 0/1/0 etcicon_cool.gif
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Willaynto wrote: »
    first, u must check what's serial number in Packet Tracer , click option and then preference , click always show port labels. i think's serials in PT not 0 but 0/0/0 ,0/0/1, 0/1/0 etcicon_cool.gif

this. usually the serial int is something like: s0/0/0 or s0/1/0. If you hover your mouse over the serial connection it will show the interface name, e.g. "s0/1/0" or "fa0/1."
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question mark is your best friend!

If not sure
    Do a "show ip interface brief" or a more effective way: sh ip int br
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It worked! It was serial 2/0

Thank you :)
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Like tomaifauchai suggested I recommend using the show command instead of any of the packet tracer shortcuts. The practice will serve you well on the exams and in the real world.
  • Options
    XtendXtend Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the show ip int br is the best command u can use in this type of situation, usually it's the first i type after i boot up the switch/router.