Options

Exchange 2003 Transport Rules ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I only ever worked with Exchange 2010 which is great .. When I send an email to a person's work address, I have to add the word "PERSONAL" into the subject.

This is working fine on my private Exchange server using transport rules (2010) but not so much from my work Exchange which is 2003 :)

Is there any way to do the same, so when an email is send to @something.blurp that it will add the word PERSONAL to the subject automatically ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Sorry, Exchange 2003 doesn't have transport rules. If you have a smart host on the edge perhaps it can add to the subject line.

One of the reasons Exchange 2003 doesn't have transport rules is that messages delivered to the same database as the sender or even the same server as the sender never leave the mailbox server. Exchange 2007/10 separates the roles so that even messages sent between mailboxes on the same database must pass through the hub transport server and are thus subject to transport policies.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Sorry, Exchange 2003 doesn't have transport rules. If you have a smart host on the edge perhaps it can add to the subject line.

One of the reasons Exchange 2003 doesn't have transport rules is that messages delivered to the same database as the sender or even the same server as the sender never leave the mailbox server. Exchange 2007/10 separates the roles so that even messages sent between mailboxes on the same database must pass through the hub transport server and are thus subject to transport policies.

Yea I know how 2010 works but 2003 was always a bit of "magic" to me - so thanks for explaining, which also explains why so many backup manufacturer are slightly behind when it comes to 2010 support.

Annoyingly you can't even seem to create Outlook rules for outgoing messages - would make things a lot easier.

We are using GFI on that 2003 box so that supports disclaimer for outgoing messages, but not subject modifications ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p