What is the quickest/easiest way to set up VPN?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I need about 5 users to be able to VPN to access our network & programs. Does anyone have a link or quick rundown of the fastest/easiest way to set up VPN?

Comments

• macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Really need more information. What kind of firewalls are you using, do they have a vpn client, are you wanting software vpn? When I used sonicwall firewalls, all I had to do was create user export a file and import in the client on there laptop or home computer and they were in. It depends on what equimpent you have or what type you want.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    If your firewall supports PPTP thats a pretty quick way to setup an easy firewall. Then just use the standard microsoft vpn client.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I should have mentioned we have ISA 2006 on W2k3, or a Cisco RVS4000...2 ways of getting in.

Do I want a software VPN? I dont know. Whats fast/easy?

*The RVS4000 looks like it has options to set up VPN clients. It looks like I'm probably going to use it. Really curious what other small/med businesses use. I have no one to look at as an example.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    here's a link on cisco forums for setting up vpn on that router

RVS4000 set up vpn client quickvpn - Cisco Home Community
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asking for fastest and easiest alarms me. Just be sure that it's not only easy for your users, but also secure.

I'm a fan/user of http://www.astaro.com
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Easiest for users is a clientless SSL vpn, I think Cisco has one, I use citrix's all the time.
    aordal wrote: »
    here's a link on cisco forums for setting up vpn on that router

RVS4000 set up vpn client quickvpn - Cisco Home Community

Thx. Cisco has good documentation on how to set it up with that model. Printed it out, already using it.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Considered OpenVPN? Can be configured with SSL certs etc.

Don't use PPTP - it's encryption is weak and can be decrypted if data is captured by Man-In-The-Middle attacks.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want a quick and dirty VPN, you can use Windows XP/Windows 7 to be a VPN server but it only supports PPTP though.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How about the teamviewer VPN? IT works pretty well but it is windows only...
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    Thx. Cisco has good documentation on how to set it up with that model. Printed it out, already using it.

Keep in mind it isn't scalable.
    Features of the RVS4000 Gigabit Security Router include:
    • High-speed connectivity, internally and externally
    • Full VPN capabilities for up to 5 remote workers
    • Advanced security, including intrusion prevention, keeps the network safe
    • Simple, browser-based configuration
    • Limited lifetime warranty
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've got the VPN established. Now for the next hurdle.

The VPN goes to our firewall with an external IP, and an internal IP 198.185.XXX.XXX on our network. I need for the users coming in to be sent to another network 172.27.XXX.XXX on a seperate vlan.

That firewall goes to a W2k3 machine. Is it possible to route VPN traffic through that machine to get to our sister network? Is that even necessary - shouldnt the firewall be able to route it?

Sorry for all the questions. Im pretty much a newb when it comes to anything more than standard LAN regarding networking. Im trying to fix that.